Staggered fletching

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by MoSkeeter0311, Jan 9, 2008.

1. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Was going thru some old posts and came across one by "TowerMonkey" they had a link showing his setup. He staggers his fletchings. What is the benefit of this. I've never seen this before. Would this be something I would want to expierment with on my hunting rig? If so, any advice on what amount of staggering etc.:noidea:

2. SinGin

SinGin Banned

If you fletch your own arrows I would say try it. What do you have to loose. It looks a little complicated to me though

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

looks different? Thats about all.

Same as using 4 fletchings... it looks different, thats all.

If staggering fletching or using 4 instead of 3 made a difference don't you think we would all be doing it? The arrow has been in use for what, 3000+ years... see how little the design has changed? :rockon:

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

You're not kidding Dred...

I'm not sure why you would bother with doing that unless you wanted to start a conversation with somebody about it. Symmetry in an object that flies is a good attribute.

Ron

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I could see it helping to get your arrow loaded correctly in the low light period, when you first get to your stand:noidea:

6. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I saw this over at a/t and i think it was more...for looks....just something different....but don't hold me to it.If you try it make sure you have enough brace height....or your fletching will get into your rest...when u nock an arrow

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  7. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

Alot of people do it to keep fletching weight down but get the guidence of a longer fletching. If using 2 in and stagger 1/2 in you will get the guidence of a set of 3 in flechings. I have tried it and really didn't notice that much difference. It can help with clearence as well.

8. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

We experimented with this awhile back with several different arrows and bow combinations. You would be suprised at the results we had. EVERY ARROW we had the vanes staggered on......not some but everyone of them shot 4-6 fps faster than the same arrow with the vanes not staggered. For those that are out for the extra speed, it may be worth the extra time it takes to fletch em up.

9. bill10418

bill10418 Why be Normal

Wouldn't that also effect the arrow's center of balance by moving it farther forward?

10. bill10418

bill10418 Why be Normal

Granted not by much, but enough to make a difference.

11. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Cool factor 2 :smokin:

12. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Making them faster doesn't mean more stabil... on your test, did you see if there was any difference in the ability to group them the same as traditionally fletched arrows??? Just wondering? :noidea:

13. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I think someone had a few too many adult beverages when fletching those up.:laugh:

I don't think I will be havin any like that.:noidea:

14. rocket80

rocket80 New Member

I thought that I read somewhere that it creates more surface area and some people out west use in big time cross winds.

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

wouldnt you want less surface area in big cross winds???

16. rocket80

rocket80 New Member

Kinda of what I was thinking. I will try to find it to make sure.

17. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Maybe Slippy should start fletching his arrows like this?....:noidea: :noidea:

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

19. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I am surprised at you Bunny that you didn't catch this sooner...:noidea:

20. rocket80

rocket80 New Member

I reread it and the guy says that he was pretty sure that he seen it on bowtechs adventures or something. So you can take from that what you want. I guess I should of reread it first. I would think you would have a finite amount of area no matter what way they were arranged.