straight or right helical?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by diamond-vic., Aug 13, 2006.

1. diamond-vic.

diamond-vic. Senior Member

hey guys, im gonna start fletching my own arrows. i was wondering if i should keep the vanes straight or go to the helical. my goldtips XT hunter come with a 1 degree offset.

2. 3dhunter

3dhunter Member

I would say no less than a 3 degree offset if your going to use them for hunting. If your going to use them for target or 3D's only, I would say go with a right helical, as much as you can get a way with. I suggest right, only because it will tighten your field points as they hit the target; a hard helical will also give you tighter groups.
    Food for thought (personal experience)...feathers will give you faster flight down range, will be more forgiving and you'll replace them less often, mine lasted 5 years, while still maintaining tight groups. They look like crap, but work, 296/300 fingers. Spray with aqua hairnet spray and they do fine in the rain out to 20-25yrds, you just have to worry about seeing through your peep in the rain.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Feathers are faster?????

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Thats news to me :noidea:

5. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Feathers will be faster out of the bow because they are lighter. They will be slower down range because they have more drag.

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I GOT ONE WORD FOR YOU.......................BLAZERS:rockon:

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

well the statement was faster down range.......just wondering?

8. 3dhunter

3dhunter Member

If we are talking same style fletch/same arrow weight...Feathers have less mass, on average, they start out 5 ft/sec. faster. On average they still maintain a 4 ft/sec lead out to around 29 yrds. Even out to about 60 yrds, feathers will slightly out gain a plastic fletch.