String noise

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by piethon, Aug 17, 2006.

1. piethon

piethon Member

I shoot a Martin Cougar III SE with dyna cams. Love the bow but I am having some problems with a lot of noise from the string. It seems to have developed over time. I started noticing it the last week or so. I have limsavers, a sims stabilizer, and string leaches. The limbs make almost zero noise, and I have inspected the string very close for any defects. Its just a short noise like plucking a guitar string. I was thinking of putting on a string stopper like the STS or something similar. Do you thing this would be a good solution? I would like to get some opinions on how they work. Should I just try a different set of string silencer? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

2. aggie2000tx

aggie2000tx Junior Member

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

The string leaches have this annoying tendency of either falling out or getting cut in half... I would suggest putting an STS or an STS Knockoff on your bow. It stops that "plucking" noise pretty effectively

typically what causes it is the string vibrating after a release until all the energy is used up. it is very similar to the way a plucked string on a guitar will vibrate.

as for my guess on why its happening... I would have to say you may have a tiny bit of string stretch, making the string just a little off or something that was on the string isn't anymore.

4. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Lots of guys are on the STS band wagon but if you want to try something cheaper and works great slap a set of cat whiskers on that bow and see what happens. I still think they are the ultimate weapon against string noise on the market bar none. JMO I am not taking anything from the STS I am going to probably buy one after other items are purchased but until then its CW for me while hunting.:peace:

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

They also suck a LOT of speed out of the arrow

6. roosevelt

roosevelt Junior Member

i have no silencers on my string, it's quite, would i notice a difference if i installed silencers?

7. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

This is true but the man is wanting to quiet his bow down a little and for the price you cannot beat them. How many FPS do you lose with CW installed correctly???? Speed is sometimes something you must give a little on to reduce noise. Now if the guy has the $40 for STS then go for it but for about $2 for CW with the prices on everything today its nice to know you can still get a very good product for a good price.:peace:

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

to be honest I dunno how much they would slow it down... never really looked at them haha

if I had to guess I would say conseratively 15 - 20 FPS, but it will depend heavily on draw weight, length.. etc. I would imagine it would rob more speed from longer draw lengths then from shorter and it would take mroe from lower draw weights as opposed to higher... but I'm just guessing

9. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Cat Whiskers

Hey, love those cat whiskers, I am not shooting at targets at 30 to 40 yards that I must win I am competeing with a live animal that I must get really close to . Agian it is hunting skills and patience. So a few seconds off for the quiteness that will keep my quary from ducking my arrow is worth the trade. On the string noise .could it be the leechs are starting to wear, also could it be a loose peep or one not tied in to good, have you checked you cable gaurd to see if it is tight doing this. just a thought. Also I noticed when the frist single cam bows came out it sounded like a guital srting being plucked when they would shoot.:usa2: Holy Smokes

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I had an SQ2 that with string leeches the thing made all kinds of noise.....
    removed them and installed cat wiskers, quite as a church mouse....

That being said, wish STS's or CSS's had been available then.......could have saved the speed, and got rid of the noise.....:biggrin1:

11. piethon

piethon Member

Thanks for all the good advise guys, it is much appreciated. I think I will go with the STS. Does it add a lot of weight to your setup? I've never actually seen one in the store.

12. piethon

piethon Member

Thanks for all the good advise guys, it is much appreciated. I think I will go with the STS. Does it add a lot of weight to your setup? I've never actually seen one in the store.

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Everytime I am at a shoot people say the same things......whats an STS....and why add that much weight.....The thing is Aluminum it adds hardley any weight at all......I am sure someone here has weighed it and can tell you how much it weighs.....but I will weigh one at the shop tonight and let you know....

14. piethon

piethon Member

Thanks for all the good info. Does the STS add a lot of weight to your setup? I have actually never seen one in the store. I would have to use the front mount one.

15. piethon

piethon Member

Sorry about the multiple post. I seem to be having technical difficulties!!

16. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

at most it adds a few ounces, the double STS adds more weight of course, but it isn't much at all. I don't notice the difference in weight on my OG, but i DEFINATELY notice the difference in performance.

17. piethon

piethon Member

Where do you get the STS stoppers? I have looked in all the stores near me even the little archery dealers, and nobody has even heard of them. Do I have to order them off there website?

18. piethon

piethon Member

Also if you use the front mount one can you still have a stabilizer installed?

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

they are showing up more and more places.....You can get them at the online store here.....and I just heard that someone found them on Cabelas.com......but I would rather send the business Chris's way.....he is a good guy......:rockon: