Strings and Cables

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by BowhuntnHoosier, Feb 3, 2007.

1. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

So how often do you guys and gals change your strings and cables???

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Right after they SNAP...:scared:

3. mdewitt71

mdewitt71 Senior Member

I usually set me stock string up and shoot around 100-250 arrows thru it then get another set of strings and cables from H&M bowstrings or Carters Archer and set it up on the bow.
    That way I always have an spare set already shot in and ready to go just in case "Murphy" visits.

4. whitetail99

whitetail99 Senior Member

Depend? I have a set on my hunting bow that is three years old from Prostring and they still look good. The biggest variables are how much you shoot them and how much sun light they get. Sun light it tough on strings. On 3D rigs that I shoot ALOT I will replace them once a year. You might be wise to email or call a real pro like Shel at ProString. http://www.prostring.com/products.html

5. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

When ever they look like they need it> HS

6. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I was out of the sport for a long time and got back into it about 3 years ago. The string materials that are out now like the BCY 8125 is really tough stuff compared to what I was used to. I want to say Fast-Flight was pretty new when I got out of the sport.

I've replaced mine twice on each of 2 bows but I shoot quite a bit. I replaced them after hunting season and before 3D starts. I did what mdewitt71 did on both bows and have a backup string with peeps, silencers and speed nocks installed that were shot a couple of hundred times each.

The main thing is to keep strings clean and waxed. Check your string and cable(s) before you shoot each time and if you see a broken strand replace both the string and cable. I had a cable break once. That once was one too many times for me...

Ron

7. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

I just do mine if they start lookin rough, pry 2 or more years, If my huntin rig is questionable, ill just replace them about a month before season. Or if i see something funky, like broken strands or thin spots.

8. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Let's see...I started with the factory string for a short time, then had one made. I am going to keep my same string until I (or someone smarter) says it needs to be changed. I keep it waxed and look it over often.

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

this will be the third year on the original string and cable on my 05 switchback......yeah thats right the string and cables that everyone hated and thought were such big peices of crap:tape: .....I still like that string and cable and the cable is just starting to show signs of were.....I may take off the string and cable and measure the string and see how much they have stretched and then just replace the cable or maybe replace the serving and keep shooting the same cable......:noidea: