Stupid Shipping Question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by STRO, Nov 4, 2007.

1. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

This doesn't seem right. I am having my uncle do the taxidermy work on the 10 pointer that I harvested. Only problem I live in Illinois and he lives in Montana and I need to ship the cape and antlers to him. I checked on the internet for estimates. Here is what I got for a package weighing about 20 pounds.

Ship from Byron 61010 to Bozeman, Montana 59715 two day delivery

UPS = #105
    USPS = $35

Why is there such a difference. Am I missing something? Why such a difference?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  2. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

i think it is becuase USPS takes so long, UPS gets it there quicker

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I've noticed that the "estimates" online normally don't end up true. USPS used to be a great cheap way to ship. now they are one of the most expensive.

4. STRO

both of these are 2 day delivery and usps is a third of the price though

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I think USPS charges much more for insurance and tracking though where as with UPS its included or free?

I still find 35.00 hard to believe for 2 day air for a package that large... then again it is in state, that may be why? USPS also has 2 options one where its 2 day shipping or your money back. One where its 2 - 3 day shipping and if it isn't there oh well.

It cost me 16.50 to send a phone to California (3 day non/guaranteed)

6. STRO

Correct that, I typed it wrong, my uncle lives in Montana. So shipping is from Illinois to Montana

7. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

USPS has always been cheaper for me.

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Ditto for me but size and the extra "add-on's" might make the story different.

Ron

9. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

You could try giving DHL a call and see what there rates are.

10. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

USPS is cheaper, but UPS is more reliable. The USPS lost my Ohio State - Michiagn tickets last fall. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: I got my money back thanks to PayPal, All USPS had to say was "Sorry, we are sure they'll turn up sometime." :mad2:. I've never had any problems w/ UPS or FedEx.

11. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

sounds like it depends on how safe you want your package.

I have never had problems with either, except the USPS packages are usually a little more beat up

12. SinGin

SinGin Banned

I sent a blind back to Double Bull for repairs UPS wanted $23.00 to ship Fed Ex wanted $111.00:noidea: So don't use Fed Ex

13. STRO

Yeah, I did the estimate for fedex online too and it was like $200

14. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

How are you shipping animal parts? I thought you had to keep the hide cool or even freeze it before taking it to the taxidermist?:noidea:

15. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

are you sure the usps wasnt 2 week shipping? :laugh: :laugh:

16. STRO

I stopped by the ups store to double check the price I got over the internet and also did the same with usps. Prices are the same. Here is what I got

UPS = 2 day guarantee = $160
    3 day guarantee = $110

USPS = 2 day guarantee = $75
    2-3 day = $44

The cape is frozen and therefore I need the 2 day, maybe 3 day. With the colder temps right now I might able to get away with the 3 day, but am probably going to go with the 2 day, just to be safe. The cape doesn't need to be frozen when it gets there, just can't be half rotten

17. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Sounds risky to me! What if it were to get lost:doh: :Cry: I bought a set of sheds one time off ebay to use as rattlers and they got caught in a sorting machine and the horns destroyed the rubber conveyor belts in the sorting machine! HAHA usps!

18. STRO

What are you trying to jinx me, don't even think that is going to happen :tape: :tape: :tape:

19. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Sorry, just a possiblity!

20. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

so thats why the price of stamps went up!!!