Stupid Woodchuck

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by NerdHick, Apr 17, 2008.

1. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

Got one of the dumb things living under my yard on the north side of the house...last night I'm walking back inside and I see him...

I run and grab the first thing I can find, my XT and an arrow from deer season...tear apart my 3D quiver grap a release and head out.

I start the stalk...I can't get a shot off the porch so I have to back track and go around. I sneak the back side of the porch and I see him...I'm thinking its an easy 20 yd shot...I let the arrow fly...he takes off and stops...clean miss low, how could that be???

I run in the house get another arrow and go back outside, he's in the hole, just the top of his head is sticking up...I put the 20 pin just over his head and let her fly...I think I gave his a buzz cut cause he was GONE after that shot.

I'm gonna be ready with the DLD tonight!!! Right before/after supper seems to be when he likes to come up for food...MY YARD! He must die!

I've tried posion, NOPE
    I've tried flooding, NOPE
    I set a trap, NOPE

I'll give myself one more try with the bow and then I'm breaking out the boomers!

222 and woodchuck = FUN!

2. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

the ones that i get in my back yard dont let you get that close. if they even think im around they go running. i have sneek out the door and shot them with my .22 thru the railing of the second floor.

3. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I had Osama living in a cave near the house last year. Those critters are tough to get... but are worth the chase. :biggrin1:

4. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

I dispise all things named woodchuck..I tore my ankle up bad when one undermined the dirt floor in one of the cattle barns a few years back and I found it the hard way.. Good luck I hope you kill them all!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Anyone ever try eating one? I heard some guys last week talking about it and they said it wasn't too bad, don't know if they was pulling my leg or not.:noidea:

6. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

that would be like eating a rat, well a squirrell is a rat when you get right down to it aint it?

7. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Now boys round these here parts we call them critters
    ground hogs
    They do eat pretty good
    they just eat grasses and fruit
    just pear boil em till tender and then put em in a roasting pan
    seasoned with worcheister sauce, pepper, salt
    put in some oinons ,taters, carrots ,and bake till veggires are done
    you can put BBQ suace if you desire
    oh I shoot em with a .17 cal
    Enjoy:biggrin1:

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Hey smokes the "ground hogs" you have a much smaller than, the Woodchucks we have here.......:noidea:

9. trussoni

my woodchucks are bigger than your woodchucks!!!

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

dude thats not what I ment......

I dont think, they are the same creature:noidea:

11. trussoni

could be yaneverknow anyways i was just joking woodchucks are most likely pretty standard in size unless they are eating toxic waste or something.

12. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

The fat sob was too scared to come out tonight! I'll have to try again tomorrow night...

:mad:

13. trussoni

he wasnt scared he was sharpening his teeth

14. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

Shoot it. :noidea:

15. ohbowhntr

ohbowhntr New Member

Have a rangefinder by chance??? Better start practicing guestimating ranges. I've set the first pin at 24 yds on my last 3 bows, all high 260 to low 270fps set-ups shooting 420gr arrows. Not more than 2-2.5" high from 5-25 yds, anything a little farther to about 28yds, I spit pins (second pins are set at 32yds), 28-35yds, I hold 32yd pin right on. My set-up isn't the usual set-up, but it also works quite well for me, therefore, I've stuck with it.

16. wp_bowmaster

wp_bowmaster Glad he is back!!!

I shot one a couple weeks ago with my longbow. They are fun to shoot!!! Good Luck!!!!:peace: :biggrin1: :rockon:

17. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

Good idea, I think I'll try it. I'm set at 20 and 40 now.

18. trussoni

mine is set from 10-50 i think i got too many pins to be honest about it.

19. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I think they are tha same critter bman for I had a neighbor that called me one day and she was from Maine and said tha woodchuck is in the garden
    ,she wanted me to take him out which I did with a 7mm from her roof outside a patio door.
    Now boys I must admitt when I here one of these fellars called a woodchuck i kindly git a little tickled at it being called a WC

20. ohbowhntr

ohbowhntr New Member

No real need for a 10yd pin with most modern set-ups. Now I have a 60# older Hoyt that is more than anything a "teaching bow" and I set the top pin at 20yds on it, which I also would do for hunting, but I'm only getting mid 250's fps out of it, therefore it makes good sense to set the top pin at 20, giving it roughly 2" of rise and fall after it rises to zero at about 5yds out.