styrofoam blocks

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by phillip, Jun 19, 2008.

1. phillip

phillip Hog wild

Im thinking about buying a couple big blocks of styrofoam to use as a target. I think it would last for a long time. The problem is I have never used these big blocks for carbon arrows. I know this stuff is a lot tuffer then todays target foam, so my question is have or do any of you use this for your targets and has it ever damaged your carbons?:noidea:

2. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Styrofoam is one of the lesser advised target materials
    I use them for my braod head tuning only
    Go to the tractor supply store and ask them if you can have the small blocks that come with the trailers
    you can put 4 or six together and makre a great broadhead target:D
    they let me have as many as they are not using
    or any trailer palce that has em shipped in

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

From my experience the biggest issue you will have is the arrows fusing themselves to the foam. When a carbon arrow, especially carbon, penetrates "styrofoam" (aka expanded polystyrene), the heat generated from the friction from the arrow penetrating the foam will 'fuse' the arrow shaft to the foam.

Go ahead and try it, I did once many moons ago, but I don't think that's the best course of action for a target. And, if it was, a TON of companies would be selling them because EP is very inexpensive...

Good luck...

Ron

4. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

That was exactly my thought :dizzy:

5. phillip

phillip Hog wild

Now thats results. Thanks for your input.
    It sure makes sence to me.:nod:

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Yeah sometimes we do make sense on here...............other times.:tape: :biggrin1:

I would agree styrofoam is not a good idea for extended use.:peace:

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, I guess we do make sense.... Sometimes...:laugh:

Dude, I would not use EP for 1 shot.... I'd spend an hour cleaning off the arrow crud from the foam block.... :laugh:

Been there, done that.... :frusty:

Ron

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

But,

Having us said that....

There is a type of sheet foam insulation that is used in teh exterior foundation walls of houses these days. That might be what Smokes is referring to. That foam is NOT EP. It's some closed cell foan that if you layered it you might be able to make a decent target. I would wager on it's life though....

Check around and hang out here. MOST of us won't bite...

Ron

9. RiverRob

RiverRob Green Mtn. bound

I picked up a load of the Tractor Supply trailor blocks the other day. Havent shot em yet, i was going to save them for when I set up a half "insert" 3D range at my next place (you know, something like a log saw horse with a head and neck with the foam block strapped to it).Well anyway anyone have any luck shooting them with aluminums or something like FMJ's with field points? The ol lady shoots carbons so i guess shell just have to tear em up with broadheads but I figure aluminums would work well with them.