Suggest how make new 3D scoring rings

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by kit-han-ne flinger, Dec 20, 2007.

1. kit-han-ne flinger

kit-han-ne flinger Junior Member

I was wondering about all of the ways you have found to make scoring rings on target vitals and are there better ways according to target (Rinehart,McKenzie,R&W)
    The reason is that I want to put 12's and forteens on some vitals that only have IBO rings.

Thanks for any replies !!!

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I would just try to find a marker that is similar in color of the target and draw them in....:noidea:

3. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

got a branding iron?

4. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

they make large plastic reference cards with all th kill zones on them ASA and IBO. I dont know if the e-store here stocks them or not?

5. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

I used a solder iron to melt the rings in on some I had at home

6. kit-han-ne flinger

Thank You

Thanks for the suggestions

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Did you actually READ his post?

8. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Burning the rings into the targets work very well.

9. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I agree, branding iron sounded the best to me. You might have to have one made??? Let us know what you figure out!

10. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

You can also use a hole saw chucked in a cordless drill...

Ron

11. kit-han-ne flinger

thanks again

I am going to attempt to try to put some rings on this week and I will let you know how it goes !!!

12. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

For IBO's, Carefully measure the diameters of the rings, and use a compass to draw the circles on paper. Cut out the circles, and you will have a doughnut-looking template. Thumbtack it on the repaired vital, and draw the lines with a Sharpy. Cut the Sharpy lines into grooves with a snapcutter.
    Measure the circles carefully. The diameters vary 1/4 to 1/2 inch between different targets of the same general size, like a medium deer to a medium bear.
    Use a electric Finishing Sander to work the fill material down to the body's original profile.
    With ASAs, use tracing Paper and Charcoal. Transfer the image onto a more substantial paper, and do the same as above. Spend time on prep work with the templates, and it will make the finished repair much more satisfying, and less difficult.

These were painful, frustrating lessons for me.

Branding, and using Dremels or soldering irons, is overkill, and won't give you a better finished product. Hole saws too. We tried all that the last few years.
    This works on Mckenzies. With Rineharts, buy a new vital.
    Good Luck

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007