Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by akhenaton22, Dec 13, 2006.

1. akhenaton22

akhenaton22 Junior Member

Noob to the forums here...

My soon to be father-in-law introduced me to the compound bow (little father-in-law bonding time). He's an avid hunter (although I've never seen him hunt with a bow nor say he ever would) but he likes to shoot. Well to make a long story short I was hooked at the first shot. Began reading and found the hunters friend website and read about compound bows, selections, etc.

I am asking for suggestions on brands, types, etc. bows that would accommodate what I want in a bow. I'm looking for a somewhat compact axle to axle length( 37-38"), light in weight, good velocities, decent let off, 6.75-7" brace height. My specs are 5' 9", 175 lbs. My soon to be father-in-law has some good shops in mind where I can take it to be fit correctly. Money is somewhat of an issue right now with graduation of college still about 4 months away.

Any suggestions would help.

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Welcome to you first off.....:welcome:

have you checked any of those shops to see if they have anything used....you should even try the calssifeid ads on this and other web sites....you may find a great deal for an entire setup.....do you know your draw length (had it measured and checked by a pro shop).....how about draw weight....are you planning on hunting or no??

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

money is an issue?? what are looking to spend???

4. akhenaton22

akhenaton22 Junior Member

Yeah, no matter how many times I proof read, I never remember to put all the important information...anyway. I'm looking to spend around $250. Unfortunately I have not had my draw length of weight measured. I had some guesses thrown at me in the past, but those were the past I'm not as fit as I was back then so things have probably changed. I dont plan on hunting with it, it is for more of the enjoyment of shooting:biggrin1: .

5. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Best thing to do to start, is goto a shop and find out what your dl is, and what kind of draw weight you can handle, then from their, shoot some bows and look around and find what you want for your price range!!! Check the classifieds and maybe ebay, theirs lots of good stuff for sale, but theirs lots of junk too, so if you dont know what your looking at, might ask some??s Dont go into this blind, it will cost you alot more that way, its better to do it right the first time!!

6. yak49

yak49 Junior Member

little more

Welcome, I was in your shoe's a little while ago, I spent a little more than your budget, but I pick up 2005-06 Hoyt ultra-tec and it is one heck of shooter, my second time out I was hitting those little 2" dots from over 20-yards, I was in love:rockon: This my first bow and it rocks:rockon: I have never once thought shee if I had spent just a little more I could have had----------- insert what ever brand etc......, spend a lot of time shopping, spend a little more and whimper only once, go cheep a cry til ya get a nice one, just my 2-cents, good luck with your new obession, lol:welcome:

7. :welcome: to archery:rockon: you only have $250.00 to spend? ther are a lot of used bows out there for that price and posibly cheaper you just need to shop around. but if you can save what you have or scrape up $200.00 more you can get a brand new bow with a lifetime warrenty. a bow that can be set up to fit you and a nice looking bow that shoots really good.it is a Diamond rapture and it's $449.00 without the package check one out.but you do need to shoot all the bows you can and get one that feels and shoots good to you becuase your the one shooting it and if you do settle on a used bow take it to a pro shop before you buy it to have the limbs and cams ect. checked out.good luck on your purchuse:peace:
    www.diamondarchery.com

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007