Swintj1 Form after 2 months of shooting...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by swintj1, Dec 5, 2007.

1. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Here is my form now after 2 months of listening to you all, thought you'd like to see the progress I'm making. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable...the only thing I'm really fighting now is when I look at my bow, it looks straight up and down, but when I look at the level on my sight, I am actually leaning the bow way to the left, so when I bring it so the level is right...the bow looks like it is leaning wayyyyyyyyyy to the right...so i'll need to work on that for a few weeks...but I'm sure it will make me more consistent when I figure that out.

ENJOY THE VID!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VXcobfwEcys

Feel free to critique

2. Werd

Werd Senior Member

for a leaner your not that bad:laugh: keep at it and dont give up:dizzy:

3. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

I don't think I'm that much of a leaner. I just think it is because I open my stance alittle...so my hips don't match my spine. But, The stance is good, nice and should width, my release (even though you can't see) is in the perfect position, and I'm shooting groups of about 1-2" from 20 yards...so I think that will be good enough for deer hunting! Not good enough for Target, but keep in mind I'm using a Whisker biscuit for a rest, so that probably screws up my accuracy by .5" every shot. I'm going to get a Target bow soon, a Matthews Drenalin LD, with a Trophy Taker or Whammy, and then I'll have no excuse for inaccuracies.

Overall, do you think it looks pretty good though?

4. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

The famos words,(good enough for deer hunting) Boy you hear that alot at the target range. You are doing good, Keep it up. One thing when you start drawing you are pointing up in the air way above the target. What happens if you release goes off before you drop to the beal? Hole in the wall at the range? Rule of thumb for me is to draw on the beals. If I can not then to poundage is to high. Same for hunting, do not give you pray to much movement to spot you drawing on him. A deer in more them likely to see you sky draw on him, them just drawing straight on him.

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

1. Can't see your face so no clue where everything is lining up

2. slight lean I think... hard to tell how much but please keep your shirt on!

3. Move your sight. In theory (my theory) your groups should center around the X. If you shoot 5 groups and the left or right most arrow is near the X and the rest are off to one side then adjust your sight. Ideally you should have either all the arrows in 1 big group or one to the left, one in the X and one to the right.

4. Watch your hand when you release. it looks like you catch the bow, especially after that third shot. (approx 1:07 or so in the video). This is a common causes for torque (ie you "snatch" the bow out of the air because you are afraid it is going to fall). I notice you don't have a wrist sling... is there a reason why? It may help with you trying to catch it... maybe not. Once I figure out how to stop doing it I'll let you know how you can to :laugh:

5. Get an STS on that bow! You will notice a difference guaranteed. (uhh nevermind :doh: )

6. I'm impressed with how quite that bow is. Very nice! I think I can hear your release and the impact of the arrow but I don't hear the bow at all :rockon:

Its hard to tell a lot because there is nothing visible above the shoulders

** just found the other videos :doh:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Its hard to tell because of the camera being sideways but it looks like the lean is almost completely gone in the video Joe Form Nov 7 and your feet look closer together.

Looks like your DL and anchor points are good based on the video as long as you have a good solid point of reference (ie: ear, back of neck... etc) you'll be good.

still looks like you are grabbing the bow when you release.

7. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

It's a vectrix, it comes with an sts! Mabey a little less draw weight (sky drawing) and a wrist sling.

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

hehe DOH! Just watched again and first thing I saw was the STS... wasn't really paying attention to the bow and thought that was a cable slide :laugh:

9. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Someone needs to make an sts that mounts up top, like the truth bow with the sts top and bottom. Wonder if it would make a difference???

10. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

doubt it, that bow is already silent. I doubt adding more STS would help

11. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

In the archery business it's not a matter of "if it works", it's "will they(us of course) buy it"??:tape:

12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

good point... in that case Lets put 3 on it!

13. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Anyone who puts an sts on a mathews has 3....:doh:

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

heres what I see, your still leaning, if your hips are foward then your leaning:noidea: ........can you get the video camera back a tad bit further......?

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yeah not really............I leave the suppressers on, because they come with the bow, but my feeling is that, they dont do much on a bow over 33-34 inches.......but thats just me.........

16. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

yeah they really don't seem to do that much compared to an STS

17. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

I do have a wrist sling though....and every Hoyt comes with an STS. Technically if you listen, you can hardly hear the bow...it is just the release and the arrow...but I'll work on that lean, and I'll just let the bow fall from now on...Thanks for the advice!

18. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Yeah, I'm not super happy either with yesterdays posture...I think I get my feet just a little too wide...and then I lean a smudge. I think the bow is 1/2" too long, but I'm just going to use it for hunting, and 3-D till I get my Matthews, but I'll go down to a 28.5 when I get the LD. That should straighten me out a bit.

I'll go to the range today and I'll take another video with it farther back...it is hard because I'm just setting it on a table and can't really see what it is doing...but I'll get it better today. Sorry about that.

As far as aiming...I met a state qualifier from last year a few days ago, and he said that I should always start with my pin below the target, and then bring it up slowly into the target...in order to do that, don't move my arms...just lean back so your arms are staying still...so that is why I'm leaning a little more in this video too....when I first draw, it is just a small lean, but then as I'm aiming more...you can see me starting to lean more to bring the pins up...

GOOD ADVICE OR BAD ADVICE?

19. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Personal Preference... Its all in how you work best... For me I start above the dot, bring it down over the dot, others start low and move up.

20. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

sorry somehow I missed the wrist sling also. I watched it before the AM coffee :dizzy:

Yeah I wasn't being sarcastic when I said I couldn't hear the bow. Its very quiet