Target bow opinions needed

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by irkr, Feb 20, 2008.

1. irkr

irkr New Member

I don't need any "just go shoot them all" responses here, I really want your experiences on "target" bows. I want a lighter draw weight bow to shoot all summer with my sons. I could shoot my hunting rig but thought I would get a 50-60 lb. setup just to shoot spots for fun. I will be teaching my sons so I want something fun to shoot alot. I will buy it used, somewhere in the 2-5 year old range, maybe $350 or so. What are some of the models you guys and gals like and why? Probably want a 65% letoff, maybe 38-40" ata, possibly a snazzy color instead of camo for a change. Let's hear it.
    irkr

2. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

About a year ago I bought a used '05 Blueberry (far from camo, I assure you) Mathews Ovation. It's a 50-60#. It's relatively slow and relatively heavy, which makes it really good for target. I use it indoor for 5-Spot and for just fooling around. I think I paid about $400 for it in immaculate condition with the Mathes drop away rest installed on it. I've since purchased a Sure Loc sight/scope and a set of Posten stabs and V Bar for it. The Ovation is smooth and stable and there are quite a few of them out there in the used market for a decent price. I would happily recommend one for the purpose you explained. That's more or less the approach I took, now I use that thing like crazy. When hunting season was over my hunting bow took a siesta that will last until August or September probably. There are a few regulars out here that have Blueberry Ovations. I'm not sure what other colors Mathews had back then but Blueberry seems to have been popular.

Hope that helps.

Ron

3. irkr

irkr New Member

Thanks Ron, that does help. There are alot of those bow models out there. I have also looked into Q2XLs and Conquests. I'd be interested in some of the Martin models as well. Also Pearson bows are a good value but I know nothing about their line other than hunting models. I've seen some of the chrome Bowtech bows that really turn my crank too. I'm really just not that familiar with "target" models since I've only owned hunting bows. Let's keep 'em coming guys and gals.
    irkr

4. Paul S.

Paul S. I do not follow!

You can find a good target bow pretty easily. If you don't need the newest of the new, you can get awesome bows for half or less what they were new. I just sent a payment away for this yesterday, an '04 BowTech Pro40. 60lbs, 27.5" draw, 80% let off.:rockon:

[​IMG]

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yes, exactly. Sweet bow Paul. Blueberry Ovation's riser looks similar... Very cool.

Ron

6. Ultratecs

I used to shoot an older Ultratec w/ spiral cams, Although I am happy with my newer Vectrix XL, I sure regret selling the Ultra. Even shooting at a low 53# I was getting good speed and accuracy was awesome. You can find older ultras quite easily and the prices are close to what you want to spend. Any way good luck and have fun!

7. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

I have a red mathews Z Max I may unload. not sure yet. But I have bought a few target color bows in that range. Older Bow Tech are good to try to find.

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, there are some older Constitutions out there. Those things shoot really well. I've never seen one in a target color though...

Ron

9. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

I have a patriot in crome blue. love that bow, We have a pro 40 wheelie in marble black.

10. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I agree with Ron the Ovation is slow but very nice shooting. Long ATA and BH are better in my opinion.:peace:

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Some good suggestions here...all the bows mentioned are good shooters
    the ovation might be the easiest to find...

12. irkr

irkr New Member

Thanks to all who responded, you've given me some ideas on which ones to consider when I start shopping.
    irkr