Target Bow Which One

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by geosbow, Sep 24, 2006.

1. geosbow

geosbow Junior Member

Hello,
    Just before I start I want to say this is my first post on this forum. And I'm very new to archery. I've spent some time searching but havent found what I'm looking for. I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

I'm looking for a very light weight competion target bow. I don't do any hunting but I love to shoot. My current Bear Black Mag ancient relic just aint cutting the mustard anymore and I'm looking to make some radical changes. Can someone get me pointed in the right direction? I'm just looking for some general advice to get me started.

I live about an hour away from Bass Super Stores they are a large carrier of PSE bows and some others and have an indoor range. My budget would be anywhere from $400-$800.

My draw is 28" Thanks in advance.

What bow should I consider as a competion target bow under $400-800
    What kind of arrows?
    What kind of sight?

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

$400-800 complete setup or for the bow only?.......

If for a hole setup, look for a used one on here or AT classifieds.....you will find exellent deals in both places.....

I found an excellent target bow on the AT classifieds, had it shipped from Ireland, w/2 cams, a rest and a bunch of strings and cables, for $415.00....

The first league I shot it in I won.....

3. Hoyt101

Hoyt101 Banned

Hoyt and Mattews both make great bow!! Pse is also
    an ok bow and Olpimpic shooters use hoyt and I use Beman
    Ics arrows but thats just me Its all about form and feeling in
    my words but some people dont agree with me but thats cool
    just find a bow that fits you right and thats the ticket

4. geosbow

geosbow Junior Member

$800 for the complete setup. This is on the high end side. Can you recommend a good light weight bow. I'm more intrested in a compound bow that's light. The only problem I have with a used bow is not bieng able to shoot it to see how it feels. Can you recommend some good brands or models. I'm looking for a light compound bow for target practice.

How much could I expect to pay for compitition bow?

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Well you may be looking for an oxymoron if that makes sence......most people will agree w/me that a target bow is not normally light weight, in fact most add weights in the form of stabilizers and counter balances......A heavier mass weight bow will hold better in my opionion......I stopped looking for the lightest and fastest a long time ago as I relized that these will not be the best target bows.....again this is my opinion.......my indoor target bow weighs about 10 lbs.....its not the heaviest by far but seems to do the trick for me.....

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

First things first, :welcome: ! I'm a fellow Black Mag owner, I loved that bow back in the day. Ancient is right.

Secondly as much as it hurts Bowmans right. Just Kidd'n.

Light weight isn't a good quality for a target bow. But good balance, brace hieght, comfortable grip..... that's the stuff I'd look at. As far as brands, that entirely personal preference. My friend shoots a Browning Oasis that is very nice, and i have a Darton Maverick that I love. There are alot of nice bows out there. You just have to go to the shops and shoot a couple different ones. As far as price there are always good used bows on here or AT. Once you find one in the store, look online for a used one.

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

It must be killing you to do that.......:laugh:

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Ohhh the AGONY... good thing it doesn't happen too often!;)

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Go shoot a Bowtech Old Glory, then buy one and go home :)

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

But before you do that shoot a Mathews Icon, buy one-saving your self a lot of money and then go home.......

11. Allen

Allen Senior Member

Check the Archery Talk classified section. They have a subsection for target bows.

I agree with Bowman, the Icon is a great bow. IMO the best that Mathews has made. Unfortunately, it's discontinued, but you can usually pick up one for about $350 or less.

Arrows are one of the most discussed and cussed subjects. The better the arrow, the better you will shoot. The specific arrow will depend on what type of target shooting you plan to do. If you want to compete in 3D or field, the Easton ACC will be a good choice. If you want to shoot indoors, the Carbon Express CXL2 is a good arrow. It's big enough to cut lines but is within FITA size limits.

Quiver, stabilizer and release will also depend on the venue and class.

Tell us what type of target shooting you plan and we can get a little more specific on recommendations.

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

For 3d I acctually like the 3d selects from CX , but mostly because of the better price point

13. big scores

big scores banned from AT

just about any new bow now days can be used for target. pick one and start shooting.:rockon:

14. moosehunter78

moosehunter78 Junior Member

Target Bows

Its all about what YOU THE SHOOTER WANTS TO SPEND. You dont need the most expensive stuff to start out with. Go find a club and a pro shop and get involved with some of the locals. I am sure there are alot of people that are willing to help. When i started i bought fairly cheep stuff and now i own 4 bows. As far as brands everybody is going to tell you there favorite, just try a couple and make a choice. You can find all the deals you will ever want on AT or this site.

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

deals on at as long as you can get on the site........

16. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

what ever type you get go for the longer ata and high brace height