Target peeps

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Big LB, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Big LB

Big LB Junior Member

I would like to talk about scope clarity. I currently shoot a 4X scope and a old tru-peep with a clarifier and the target is not clear. If I remember right, a clarifier is not needed when shooting a scope with a .50 or less......right? I have also had a 1/32" tru-peep in the bow and again the target is not clear. What will it take to get a clear target with 2X, 3X, 4X, 6X, and 8X scopes? What do you guys recommend for each? I do have 20-20 vision and do not wear glasses. Thanks, Larry

2. HYTMANN

HYTMANN Senior Member

Wish there was an easy answer, but the best thing to do is go to your local shop and try a few different clarifiers and find the one that works best. It really is dependant on how your eyes, the quality and type of lens, and the extension of your sight, and peep to eye distance all interact. There is no set formula, trial and error is the only way. This year I have used 4 and 6 power extreme lenses, 6 power Sure-loc, and an 8 power stan for spots, each combination required a different clarifier/diameter for optimum clarity of the target, which is why I use Specialty archery peeps with the screw-in inserts, it just makes things easier, although some people have had string issues with these peeps (I haven't yet, but I check them for burrs before installing) Let us know what you come up with!:rockon:

3. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

kinda depends on your eyes, how good they are, near sighted ,far sighted. Most probably dont need one 4X and under. I like 2x.... 3x at the most.I have no problems with a basic peep.

4. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I had the Specialty archery peep and have the yellow and green clarifiers and it does make things a bit clearer but, It makes everything so dark I have a harder time seeing the X or 12 ring on a 3D target. Is there anyway to see clearer and yet still get enough light to actually see what I'm aiming at?? Like I said, maybe it's just me. But I hope there's an answer for it. :noidea:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  5. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

your gonna have to find a shop that some to test. I contacted Specialty Archery last year on what one I would need for a 4x Feather Light lens. they told a yellow #1. When I got it, Found that it wasnt the clearest with my set up and vision. I had to play with a few different ones to find that #2 green was my ticket. Everyones vision is alittle different. I have glasses also.
    Good luck...

6. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, I agree with pinwheel that you should find a shop that will let you try out the different clarifiers/apertures after they tie in a Specialty peep. That's what I did. I have near-sightedness and wear glasses and I had to play around a little bit. I think the 4x 'rule' might be just a guideline to help you but it seems to me that everyone is going to have a bit of difference in setup. Your eyesight, draw length, lens power, etc... all plays into the equation.

Good luck...

Ron

7. HYTMANN

HYTMANN Senior Member

Clarifiers will darken your sight image, try a larger diameter aperture to let more light in. The quality of the scope lens plays a large part in that as well, that point was reinforced today when i had the oppertunity to try a Sword scope with a 4 power lens. Using the same clarifier (from my peep sight) the target picture was clear but very dark. With the same clarifier my 6 power Sure-loc is so much brighter that there is no comparison. If a larger aperture dosen't help, maybe try a different lens.

8. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

Does a higher power lens combined w/ a stronger clarifier make the sight image darker vs. a weaker lens and weak clarifier?

9. HYTMANN

HYTMANN Senior Member

Yep, the higher the power and the stronger the clarification, the darker the target image. Smaller peep apertures make for darker images as well, but not as dark as clarifiers, and they have a similar effect. Right now I am using a 1/16th green clarifier, (#2), but if it's too dark for a certain lighting condition I'll swap it out for a 3/64 aperture with no lens, or a 1/16th yellow (#1), depending on conditions.