Targets

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by MoSkeeter0311, Oct 4, 2007.

1. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Want to get a target setup in my backyard. Anyone want to share thier knowledge on any particular style or brand? I don't shoot competition, just like to "kill" paper and get ready for next years hunt. I tried using my dogs but they just run to fast.

2. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Here's mine..There carpet and you can't wear them out if you tried...thousands of shots and they look like new.The 2 big ones are 5'x5'.

3. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

Those are nice ... How thick is the carpeting??

4. IChim2

20 inches thick/deep........them targets are made from carpet squares that are 20" X 20".one of those big ones wght 2000lbs and they sit on a frame that is made of 3" blk angle iron.That small one wghts 150lbs.My friends are always comming over to shoot their bows....think i'll start charging them.:lol:On 2nd thought,i can't charge them...they always bring the bud lite.:lol:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  5. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

wow, they got a lot of weight to them. I was thinking of making one up for my basement but didn't think they would be that heavy.
    Doesn't take long to blow through a bag target if your pounding the same spots all the time.

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

If you can manage to find one of the old Morrell's you'll be fine... but you need the OLD ones, not the new ones with the flames (they suck).

Also, cardboard targets are still good, just take a while to get that much cardboard! :frusty:

7. IChim2

Like Dredly said...lot of good things out there.....I just got tired of buying targets and scronging around trying to find things to make a target and i decided that wasn't happening anymore.I shoot my bows a lot...besides,it's turned out to be a good place to hang out with friends.Here's one last pic...the arrow always goes between the layers and it's easy to pull out.

8. hansel

hansel Member

The carpet is a great way, but I use layered cardboard then compress it with some racket straps. When you get s soft spot, just rotate it around or replace it. PLus I use a old piece of carpet in front of all it

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

just curious... where the heck did you manage to get 2000 pounds of old carpet from?

10. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

I was wondering that too...mainly because I'm jealous and want to build one like it. What do you use to compress the carpet? Ratchet straps?

11. IChim2

2000lbs.....thats for one target:laugh: .There's over 4000 lbs in them 3 targets.A local indoor archery range went out of bussiness and they had 9 of these...Jeanne bought 2 of them for me for Christmas 2 yrs ago.The bad part was going over and breaking them down...loading them on my 16' trailer and than bringing them home and setting them back up.Had to make 2 trips and it took all dang day to get it all set up.Those were new carpet squares that they bought from a discount home center and the owner had over 700$ ea in them and we got them for a Hundred ea.A bargan in my book....you can't wear one out.They still look and smell like brand new carpet.I keep them covered at all times when not in use...If you ever get to my neck of the woods..look me up...but don't forget to bring the Bud.:laugh:

12. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

Yeap I agree I got one with the flames and it didn't take long at all for it to blow out. I am still going to look for some carpet. I don't think I need that big of one for twenty yards in the basement.

13. IChim2

With large ratchet straps...but they're mainly use to just keep every thing together/from shifting arround.Their about as tight as a 5yr old could tighten them.They pretty much compress them selves.

14. IChim2

Here's a pic of the small one...i will give it to the 1st person that shows up:laugh: .I have enough to make another one too.

15. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Very tempting... I don't live all that far from you. (Imperial Mo.). Roughly how far are you from St. Louis

16. IChim2

Go south on 55 (5 miles) to 67 (bonne terre/park hills)exit than to the second (Farmington) exit which is hwy W turn right on W and it 2 miles....all an all a 40 minute drive.If you want one..pm me and i'll give you my phone #.

17. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Great looking targets. I need a winter project like that after I kill all my deer.:biggrin1:

18. Werd

Werd Senior Member

i like your sig...it is reallly reallllllllllllllllllllllly hot here. and im not hunting anymore.

19. IChim2

I agree about the heat..It's been a freak of a year here in Mo and i'm done untill the weather changes.No since in stinking up stand area.

20. Josh_Putman

Josh_Putman My little huntin buddy

I am already there as I am having an out of body experience.:peace: