Tension Release

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by MikeC, May 9, 2008.

1. MikeC

MikeC New Member

I picked a TRU Ball tension release to try out because I heard good things about them. After trying it, I find it hard to get used to. I am paranoid about it releasing before I intend (mid-draw), although it hasn't yet. I don't know if I would use it for hunting, but for target practice I may try it for a bit to see if it works out. I had found if I over-concentrate during the shot, I would flintch (not often, but once in a while). A tension release is supposed to help avoid that right? Does anyone have strong feelings for or against this type of release?

2. Werd

Werd Senior Member

I'm deadly with a regular release. I heard they have their pros and cons, but it's what you want man...

3. watt spurlock

watt spurlock New Member

tension

a massage works well usually. On the serious side, I feel your pain. But, Ive been practicing with back tension every other day. always had a little nervousness about the whole thing. I have just made the full conversion in the last two weeks, and honestly, this is the ticket. Im now using the carter evolution, my game has made a dramatic improvment in this past week after I got everything readjusted, draw length is critical. Ive shot my three best 15 target outdoor rounds I have ever shot in 3-d, and my confidence is up. Had a couple form breaks last week in the first event I ever shot with back tension, shot 2 fives, for a 299 round. Its getting better everyday. Stay with it and good luck.:rockon:

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yes, that it waht's it's about, getting used to it and gaining confidence. I've been shooting indoor with a Carter Solution 3 for about a year and a half and just converted it to back-tension mode about 3 months ago (after getting the nuts to do so). I have been shooting better but I will say I will not use this thing for hunting. I'll just use it for indoor target and 3D and stick to my trusty TRU Ball Tornado and/or Pro Diamond for that.

Ron

5. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

If I target shot only I might consider trying it after making sure there were no living things within a 1 mile radius. :scared: Since bowhunting is the main focus for me with 3D more of a secondary interest I'm with Ronhop and would not consider one for hunting.

6. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Any release can cause target panic. There is no magic release that will cure you all by yourself. It is all in your frame of mind. Target panic is in your head. What you need to do is do what I did. Keep an open mind and listen to how other people approach the shot with a back tension. There are a lot of opinions when it comes to this method. Some say that you should set off the release by squeezing your back. Some say to maintain the tension of full draw in your back and just activate the release however you want. Some say to focus on the target while others say to focus on the release. You have to find what works for you.

I attended a seminar put on by Tim Strickland. What he told me has made shooting a back tension a real joy. His theory is to aim with the subconscious mind and concentrate on a smooth steady release. He says that "movement" with your sight pin is your brain subconsciously making corrections. When you try to hold dead still on the X, you are stopping my mind from doing what comes natural to it.

Like I said....there are lots of methods. Find one that works for you and practice... :thumb:

7. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

I have gone back to my hinge release for indoor shooting, but for 3D and hunting I still prefer to punch that bad boy so I stick with a trigger!

8. MikeC

MikeC New Member

Thanks for the help. This forum is great, A big help getting back into archery after a long layoff.

9. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, somtimes you actually have to punch the release when hunting. It's kind of an oxymoron in a way since hunting can actually screw up 3D and target if you're able to let enough arrows go....

JCM makes a good point too... It really is about mental control, which means you have to practice your brains out so things become automatic.

Now, nice evening and it's time to shoot a few in the backyard and try and not lose any arrows. I have not shot in a while so things might be a bit scary...

Ron

10. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I really like my TB BT releases but decided to try the thumb releases for target and hunting. I definately would not use a BT for hunting. Just keep on practicing and things will get easier for you.