Texas Deer, how to judge

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Chris, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

As some of you know, I am going on a Texas Whitetail hunt. As someone who hunting in Illinois, I am very concerned about being able to judge the rack size of a Texas whitetail. Because of the size of the deer, the racks are going to look big compared to the body size.

Anyone have any tips on judging the texas whitetails?

Thanks

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

if it makes you go:scared: dont shoot that one :nono: if it makes you do this :faint2: you should probably go ahead and take it......:biggrin1:

3. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Yes sir indeeie, If he has a bunch of horns shoot him:eyebrows: . I hope you get one so big it takes 2 trips to drag em out. Holy Smokes

4. Holy Smokes

Then on the other hand If he has spots.....PICK ONE......:banplease: HS

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Holy Smokes, if that dont get you banned it should get youa raise......

6. Holy Smokes

Maybe Chris will give me 250 bonus post so I can catch up with you:Cry: . HS

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you have to earn every post......it may mean carple tunnel but you just have to work harder....dont worry someone will catch me and pass me.....

when DB used to come over here he had like 150 posts in a week now thats scary....

8. Chris

I'm used to seeing large bodied IL deer and am worried I'll see a deer that looks 140+ and shoot it only to find out it is 120" and 125#.

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I'd be worried to see a 120" deer and **** myself!

10. Chris

:pound: Now that's funny I don't care who you are

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

agreed........

12. Holy Smokes

Tisk Tisk tisk, such a pity to have to settle for a 120 class deer. Go ahead and shoot em and I am sure you will be just as pleased or maybe those corn fed deers have spoiled you. . Holy Smokes:biggrin1:

13. that would not be the bad part, the bad part would be while you are standing there looking down:Cry: at your measly little 120" buck the 140":doh: plus buck walks past you smiling:frusty: . I sure wish I had that problem:peace: , good luck.

14. Chris

135-140+ is my goal for this hunt. I've let a bunch of 120" go already this year. I hope my expectations are not unrealistic. I've never been on this type of hunt before so this is a new experience for me.

15. I don't know how to help you, but I bet your going to know which is the one when you see it, just remember the "Force" is with you and us too so make sure you get pictures for us. I do wish you good luck with your hunt.

16. Chris

I will not shoot a buck that I don't feel deserves to go on the wall. It's that simple. I would rather let them grow up or let someone else shoot it that feels it is a trophy. Now that doesn't mean a 120-130" buck will not get shot but it must be mature and have a lot of what I call character making it unique.

17. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

haha around here QDB mean letting the 6 pointer go and shooting the 8 pointer and hoping it has enough mass that the antlers don't snap when he runs away!

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

it must be worse in Penn than NY.......