That sucks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by ridgewalker243, Oct 8, 2007.

1. ridgewalker243

ridgewalker243 Member

Well I was heading for my deer stand the first night of archery here in Vermont. I just started up a pasture and I saw a big black ball on the horizon that looked out of place. It finally started moving and could tell it was a bear. He was eating under a apple tree in the pasture. I started sneaking up on him and he stud up and was eating apples out of the tree. My heart was about popping out of my chest. When I got up to him at about 40 yards he had climbed the tree and was still eating facing me. I had a couple of minutes to come down and get settled in for a shot. He headed down the tree and when he hit the ground he headed right for the woods. I drew back and then grunted to get him to stop. He did and I set my 50 yard pin right on his should and let her fly. Let her fly right the frick over his back that is. You don't get a opportunity like that here in Vermont only once every 20 years or so. I was very depressed and didn't even feel like hunting for rest of the evening after that. Its hard to judge bears but he was around 250 to 300lbs which is a very big bear for around here. Its also hard to judge distances in open areas. I lost my range finder at the end of last year and it cost me not having it on hand.

2. chuck7413

chuck7413 Senior Member

Sorry to hear about that, but that is very far to be shooting at a bear. I would limit my shots at bears to about 30 yards.