The importance of the safety harness. WEAR IT

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Southernfryedyankee, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

I pretty much almost fell out of my treestand 4x today while hunting. For some reason I just couldnt get it to stay put. The seat part kept slipping on me when trying to get into it, so needless to say that treestand is going BYE BYE. I couldnt even get up 15ft. I was so scared when I finally said "FORGET THIS" my shirt WAS dripping sweat and I was SOAKED. I can honestly say that if it wasnt for my Safety harness I would have been :censored: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ladies and gentleman wear your safety harness it comes with the treestand for a reason. Dont be surprised to see this treestand up for sale in the near distent future. I will just keep to my ground blind that I have found a new love and appreciation for.

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

what kind of treestand and what kind of tree????:noidea:

3. Southernfryedyankee

ameristep non-typical climber, which I think they are calling the hitman.As far as the tree I have no idea. All I know is I was sweating so much the deer in canada could smell me.

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

sell it and buy a summit, you wont look back.....

5. Southernfryedyankee

I may just invest in a nice wide ladder stand after I clear me a giant hole out of this land I hunt on.

6. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

SFY Bman is put ya on to tha stand on tha market. I've been in em since 84' an no bad experiences .
    only problem I have with ladder stands is tha deer avoid em when they relaize there is danger there.

7. Southernfryedyankee

Is it possible to ratchet strap the seat to the tree when im done climbing to prevent slippage? If you look at the picture it has that triangular piece of metal could I strap that bad boy to the tree as an added safety precaution?

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

9. Southernfryedyankee

I dunno you guys are the geniuses. The platform stayed locked beautifully, the seat on the other hand, I can feel my heart racing

10. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I have the same stand and I've never had a slipping problem. I do ratchet strap the upper part to the tree. The lower platform is about the most stable I have ever tried since it grips around more or less 1/2 the tree, or more if the tree is smaller.

I also stay away from thin bark trees like birch and cedar...

Ron

11. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I am amazed at the number of people that tell me horror stories about tree stands and falls they have had. I always ask if the harness saved them, and they still say that they dont use them because they det in the way!:doh:

I guess this is natures way of removing them from the gene pool:D

12. Southernfryedyankee

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

13. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

No kidding...
    Louie makes a great point. It's just plain foolish to not wear a harness sitting in a stand... I know at least 1 person who doesn't.

Ron

14. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

I always use a harness and when climbing the sticks to the lock on stands. I use the retracting seat belt style system. This keeps you 100% tied all while climbing and sitting. This system is no good for a climbing stand that you move around, but for a fixed stand up to about 24' high, it is great. They are not cheap, but neither is a doctor or funeral.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20053&hasJS=true

I hope that posting a link to a safety device is ok.

15. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I use a couple of the older ameristep climbers as lock-ons. I bought 3 of them at wally world last year when they went on sale, pretty comfy stands and make solid lock-ons when you strap them to the tree. I never had a climbing issue with them when setting them, I actually thought they got a pretty good bite..... mabey your cable wasn't tight enough or it was too tight?? That foldable shooting rail doesn't look too sturdy to me, my ameristeps have that as a solid piece and I sit on that bar when I bring the platform up. Blah, Blah, Blah, I graduated to a tree lounge and never looked back. Good luck, and don't climb hickory trees...:lol: :rain: nuts, and bark

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  16. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

umm i would guess a metal stand and a wood tree no....? lol

17. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I meant brand and species:doh: :doh:

18. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Yep!

I use to not use a harness but the last 5 years i use them all the time.
    yes to summit stands I was about 22ft up and harnessed in a summit openshot climber when i shot my buck sat.
    And tree stand slip?

Carry a screw in step (you can buy them anywhere) and screw it into the tree after you get set just under the middle of the band on the seat it wont slip!:biggrin1: