Thomas the Train... HELP?

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by Dredly, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I'm sure there are other suckers out there that threw lots of money into Thomas the Train wooden sets and now I need advice. We took Conner to a hobby store to look around and he found the full Thomas wooden train set and was having a blast, so being the spoiled brat that he is we bought a kit for him and he loves playing with it.

the problem is now that the train tracks don't stay together as the "connections" are lose. The cars all fall off when he pushes them due to the moving tracks and he gets pissy.

I'm not spending 30.00+ on "clips" to keep the tracks together however I don't want to glue it down (the way the one in the store was) as I'm sure he'll get more in the future and the stuff is insanely expensive so I'm not buying a "big" kit.

Has anyone else figured out a way to secure this track so that he can play with it but still allow us to add to it in the future as he gets more pieces?

I was thinking of taping the pieces down from underneath, laying a large piece of velcro on the table and velcro on the bottom of the pieces to velcro them down, putting a screw through the pieces to screw em down to the "table"... I don't know if any will work.

Anyone got any suggestions for me?

2. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

we got thomas the train scooters, not sure if we have trains, we have like 18 boxes of geotrax I know for sure.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

the velcro sounds good to me you cheap codger..........he is only young once, and you own like 3-4 bows and countless guns dont you?????:noidea:

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Nope, got rid of most of them. Down to just my Ovation and Legacy as far as bows and as far as guns... USP ,40 (looking to get rid of in favor of a more concealable one), the BPS and my .22.

I bought the set for like 60.00 (normally 80 - 90), to spend another 30.00 on "clips" to keep the track together is not gonna happen, and thats only 24 clips!!!! The kit we got would actually need more then 2 boxes worth of clips to keep it together...

cheapskate... absolutely, especially when spending 60+ / set for a toy

5. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Dredly go by that kid them clips and be done with it...:noidea: Your gonna end up spending $40 bucks on velcro and it's still not gonna work. Trust me the kid is gonna love ya for it....:D

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you must have a cat or something you could sell to bullfiddle........

or a dead groundhog........:rockon:

7. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

Find 911 he has some sort of set for his boy...

my mother in law bought my daughter the floor model at the store so its huge and all one peice, I think they used brads or something along those lines to secure it all to the table.

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

was thinking about just using a drywall screw to secure it to a base... easy to do and easy to remove...

9. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

wondering if you could use the tape with glue on both sides.

10. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Listen to the birds (cheap cheap cheap):lol:

I don't blame you for not buying the clips, you canmake do with double sided tape, or try some small brads they dont make the big hole that a screw will.

Besides, In a month your son will have found some new toy to play with.:laugh:

11. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Ebay dude :smokin:

12. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

RC hobby shop. look for servo tape, man it is the stickyest stuff and hold mad strong.

13. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Ebay still wants 13 - 15.00 / box!

If you guys saw these stupid clips you would be as unwilling to pay as I am...

[​IMG]

basically its a plastic piece that snaps around the track... more then 1.00 a piece... screw that!

I may try the servo tape.

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

man I would do it for my daughter:noidea:

15. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

double stick tape works... so does a nail gun and a 4x4 sheet of 3/4 cdx.... :biggrin1:

16. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

shouldn't you be watching Dora?

17. We have a large collection of the wooden tracks, but stopped buying them due to the problem you have, they arew the most expensive of the Thomas kits, and the Chinses lead paint issue...

The Take Alongs die cast are the way to go - seriously. WE have nearly ALL of them, with several hundred yards of that track, and they work great.

We started out with the WalMart issue battery operated HO scale Thomas, but the amount of that track we accululated was rediculous! It made a loop around OUR HOUSE!

Then we got into Geo Trax - they rock~! We have a large city worth of buildings and accessories - and several miles of track....

FINALLY we got into real deal HO model trains....we love it!

We still have all of the other train stuff - make me an offer!:peace:

18. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

only reason we didn't go with metal is he still like chewing on everything... wood is better then metal :frusty:

19. Not with that frickkin lead paint! Have you compared yours to the recall list???

20. dch3k

dch3k Member

Now you need to take him to see Thomas and go for a ride..he'll love it!

our track was nailed down on a train table he had extra track to try new things on the floor but that track stayed and the metal ones are nice too I rather they chew on the metal then get splinters