thumb release for hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by MVines, Aug 31, 2007.

1. MVines

MVines Junior Member

Okay, I have not posted here very often, but wanted to ask you all a question. I currently shoot a scott shark and it is okay, but sometimes I feel a bit out of position with it(if that makes sense???) So I have decided to try a thumb release...

Do you have any suggestions as to which one??? Are there any carter releases that have a hole to put a string through for a retaining strap, in case of the oops I dropped it :doh:

Thanks for the advise,
    Melissa

2. BowTechArch

BowTechArch Senior Member

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

T.R.U Diamonds are great, I used to use one for hunting but I'm going backto a wrist release this year just for convience (and because I don't want to lose another T-Handle)

4. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I have been using a Stan X Quatro (Now a X2- Which is much better) for 3D.It doesn't look like there is a place to attach a strap to the Stan X2... so when Hunting comes around I go back to my Scott's wrist strap so I don't have to worry about dropping it.

During hunting: the less I have to worry about, the better off I am.

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

My TRU Diamond has a strap for it but I don't like it, its basically a wrist strap with a string so the release can bang all over the place and gets in the way.

plus I've seen you shoot 3-D... those deer would be much safer if you used the Stan :)

6. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

7. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I have a Tru-fire 3D Hunter that I like a lot. Don't hear of too many other people shooting them, though. :noidea: It's not really set up to use with a wrist strap, but there are some holes in it so you could rig something.

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I use a TRU Ball Torado wrist strap for hunting but I also use a TRU Ball Pro Diamond for everything else. I'm going to try to use it for hunting for at least part of this season because I definitely shoot better with it, but I'm going to need to rig a wrist strap of sorts for it so I don't drop it accidentally. I really like that release and I shoot pretty well with it.

Ron

9. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I was a little skeptical about using a thumb release for hunting. But I love it. I use a carter insatiable 2 and I love that I can lock the release on the loop and I am ready to go when a deer comes in close. No more fumbling around trying to get the release locked on when a deer sneeks up on you or is coming in fast.

10. grey squirrel

grey squirrel Need Strings?Get Proline!

thumb release opinion

Spot-hogg makes a great thumb release called the "cascade". They have a couple different options, one with thumb release fire, the other with thumb push fire. Check them out, they are awesome!:rockon:

11. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

What do you sneak into my basement and look at my gear then go buy your own? I'm getting a little worried about you.

I shoot the same thing he does :cool:

I did really like the T-handle for hunting... till i lost it. thats a lot of cash down the drain and a t-handle /w wrist strap really doesn't work as well as you'd think, they just aren't built that way.

12. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Not exactly sneaking into your basement 600 or so miles away, if I did that I'd be shooting a left handed bow... :frusty:

I want to at least put some kind of "leash" on the Pro Diamond so I can't drop it. I would not use the leash for a 'strap' exactly. I need to mess around with it a little bit and see what I can come up with.

I really like the TRU Ball calipers. They are smooth, reliable and very well built.

Ron

13. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Like I said, I have the one they come with... really don't like it, to me it completely destroyed the feel of the release, I took it off the day I got it and it hasn't been used since...

14. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

TRU ball ST3 for me as well.

15. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Your Pro Diamond came with a strap/leash/or whatever ?

Ron

16. Mepperson

Mepperson Junior Member

I bought one this spring and liked it so much I bought another for backup. It is a good release for hunting.

17. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Never shot a thumb release much. But I know that Tru-Ball makes great releases. Be sure to let us know what you get.

By the way you would'nt happen to know SilentSniper would ya???

18. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

This will be my second season with a Saturday Night Special.
    Excellent release. I hang it on the loop when I'm all set up and leave it there for the shot.

19. MVines

MVines Junior Member

Wow, this has turned into a good thread. Thanks for all your input. I am really looking hard at a Carter Insatiable 2. But am going to shoot a few before I decide.

Nope I don't know SlientSniper, I would love to meet some of the members here on the forum.

Thanks again and keep up the suggestions!

Melissa :wave:

20. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

How big is Newburgh???:doh: Thats where he is from. You sure you two are not messin with us???:frusty: