Tiller measurement?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by kbohunt, Jul 7, 2007.

1. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

I took my hunting bow Down & Re-set it.
    Cranked the limbs all the way in & backed it back off 1 turn.
    The tiller was way off 1/2 inch more on the bottem.
    To even them out, which i always do on solo-cam bows.
    I had to crank the top limb out 3 turns & the bottem limb in all the way & 1/2 turn out.
    Is this normal ?
    I usually crankum in all the way & even the turns out & the tiller falls even!:noidea:

2. red44

red44 Senior Member

I've heard not all single cams can be measured off the string due to an unequal size in cam and idler. Run a straight edge axle to axle and measure your tiller from there. That will tell you what your limbs are doing. If you measure from the string the cams' orientation (timing) will come into the equation.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Slippy for President!

I've heard the same thing.

I do always set my tiller even on my dual cam bows to start with. But then I tiller tune it to make it hold better.

4. L A Archery

L A Archery Junior Member

Idler is smaller than the cam. Measure to a line stretched between the axles.

5. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Axle!

I measured with a line,axle to axle!
    Ive got it right now but i couldnt understand why i had to crank one limb 2 & 1/2 turns different from the other!
    Its ok now thanks guys!:biggrin1:

6. sweet old bill

sweet old bill Member

I think you would still have a problem and the bow is not set correctly if you are using a single cam bow...

I found the best way is to turn it up on both limbs and then just thurn each limb back x amount of turns...

you should not be able to measure and get the top limb and bottom limb to read the same as with a two cam bow....

and or am I missing something ?????

7. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Tune!

It's like Red & LA were saying, the idle wheel is smaller so you cant get an accurate reading from where the limbs meet the risor.
    You have to run a string from the axles and then measure at the risor off this string, I know that.
    My problem is i think i do have a problem with this bow in that you shouldnt have to turn the limbs out, so much of a different amount to get the tiller right!
    I tune solo-cams even, & dual cams, 1/8 inch closer on the bottem limb,thats my starting point then i set the rest, nock, paper tune and most of the time it's dead on, dont have to move a thing!:biggrin1:

8. L A Archery

Call the company and tell them about it. It sounds to me like one of your limbs or the rockers may have gone south on you.

9. L A Archery

You have to run a string from the axles and then measure at the risor off this string, I know that.

You are still measuring from the point that the limb pocket meets the limb arent you.

Just making sure

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Yep!

I took the bow completely apart and checked the limb pockets and everything!
    Put it all back togeather and got the same thing.
    It's shooting bullet holes through paper so im not going to bother with it any more!
    I am thinking it must be that big cam,(haveing to pull it closer to the risor!)
    It's axis is even,but to get there one limb has to get cranked down 2 turns more than the other!:noidea: Ive seen it all now!
    Thank's guy's

11. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I won't tell them deers that you are punchin' good paper> HEE HEE HEE HEE

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

are you sure you put the top limb back on the top.......just a thought....:noidea:

13. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Yep!

Yes!
    Ive seen this one time before on a browning Myst!
    To get even tiller we had to crank one limb more than the other!

14. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Deer!

Dont speek to loud they can here you!:laugh:

15. Coon

Coon Junior Member

What is all this tiller talk? Sorry I am new to archery