To shoot or not to shoot....

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by IChim2, Sep 22, 2007.

1. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Seems i'm faced with this every year ( probably because our season starts early ).Was in my tree stand this morning and had a good shot at a doe at 16yds but could not bring my self to shoot her because she had 2 fawns with her.Please...i don't have a problem with what ever choices another person decides on this but i would have a hard time killing her.The ? is....if i did would the 2 fawns be ok/make it with out mom.Thanks.PS...I feel bad because this could have got our team on the board early....but they'll be others.

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Yes. They would be fine at this point in the season. Even with lots of fawns dropping late due to the warm spell we had last year they are still able to survive on their own.

3. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Yeah that can be a dicey deal, what were the fawns? I've got one doe that had twin bucks, you can bet i'll let her walk, shes in her prime. If she had twin does, I would put that momma to :sleep: forever!

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I've heard a lot of people make comments like that and I've heard a lot of people get bashed for it... Additional bucks in the gene pool isn't always a good thing. When ranches perform "herd management" they typically go after the Doe's that are a season past their prime or are known to have multiple fawns (buck or doe)...

If those 2 buck are bred from bad stock (ie: the 4 year old spike snuck in and got some!) then you now have another 2 worthless buck out there that noone can shoot and they will breed...

Personally if the fawns are out of spots then the momma is dead. If they are still in spots I would have let her walk too.

5. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Thats a good point, but we can play the what if game all day!!!:fencing: What if they came from a 150" 3 year old?? :noidea: Just depends on how you want to manage your ground and how hungry you are!

6. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

I think here in Georgia that is illeagel to shot a mother with babes.
    Not 100% sure but I think I read that on there web sight.

7. IChim2

They had just a hint of their spots left....had no idea if the fawns were doe's/bucks.Lot of dang yote's where i hunt.I know this sounds stupid but if i shot the doe than i'm probably going to lay in bed thinking about the yote's surrounding the fawn/fawns.There was a time when this wouldn't have been a choice.I'm finding that as i get older my thoughts are getting softer.

8. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Na, i'm 21 and I feel the same way, not a matter of how old you are. I think it's just respecting the game animal?? First week of the season, no need to shoot a deer and regret it. I am hoping to smack a couple does opening week, but the fawns have been out of spots for about 2 weeks now and our season doesn't start until the 1st. To each is own. Good luck rest of the year.

9. punchfree

punchfree Junior Member

I think I would have let them walk also.

10. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Personally I think the fawns would be fine. If they are weaned... wich they should be by now. I would shoot her. But just my opinion and I respect you for yours.

11. IChim2

Thanks Guys for the help.:wave:

12. Werd

Werd Senior Member

well theres this saying. the fawns cant get surrounded by yotes if you shoot them too..:lol: nah im jk.. i was out 2nite nd this fawn came out right under my tree stand and ate the apples i threw for the big deer. i just let him eat and watched him.. he still have like 700 spots. i doubt he woulda made it without mom

13. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

If you are even questioning it, you will probly feel better if you don't shoot.

14. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Your not alone!

Ha, Chim2
    I have felt the same way for about 3 years now, havent shot a doe.
    When i did there were 4 big does came in with no babys.
    If this happens i will shoot one, but i let the kids take them!:biggrin1:

15. SpiritOfTheWild

SpiritOfTheWild Junior Member

Fawns

I Think Its Entirely Up To The Hunter,The Fawns Would Have Probably Survived, But Due To Predators,And Things Of That Nature It Wouldnt Be Ethical To Take The Chance,Id Give Them A Bit Longer.. I Try To Go For Old Mature Does That Arent Likely To Produce Fawns.. :wave:

16. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I say shoot the fawns if there are a bunch in your area. They sure are tender.:tape: I wouldnt shoot a mom with fawns that still had spots. I think you need to do what you feel good about. Remember it isn't about just killing it is about hunting.

17. IChim2

What a Great group of people with good opinions.Thats what makes this Site what it is.:peace:

18. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

If they had any sort of spots, mom walks. Otherwise I drop the hammer on her, sorry.

If she has button bucks with her that is even better. I've done this before an seen the same twin buttons still on the property the following year as small basket 6ptrs. I still let them walk. The following year I only saw one of them and he was a pretty nice 8 ptr.

Mom will chase the young bucks from the area if you don't kill her. They will be the future big boys on your neighbors property. Just my opinion.

19. IChim2

If the fawns hadn't still had a hint of spots on them it probably would have been different.I still have deer in the freezer from the 3 last year so it wasn't like needing to get some meat.But i am in a contest with 2 other guys.Oh well...like i said,it's a long season and there will be others.