Topo maps or?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by kbohunt, Sep 16, 2007.

1. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ive been exploring on the web!
    How many of you use Topo maps or The computers Google earth!
    I found this and downloaded it, Man what ya can do today!
    If ya havent check it out!:biggrin1:

2. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I have a weird love of maps. I love to spend time looking over maps and ariel photos before I go to a new place to hunt. I feel more relaxed when I have an Idea of the lay of the land.

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I use Topo's and google Satilite photos...I love it...

4. jkg3117

jkg3117 Member

you can topo maps of most of the gamelands on the Penn Game Comm. website. I am still amazed when i find a funnel or someplace that sticks out, and then go scout and find the deer are moving through!

Shoot straight--Jim

5. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Yep...Sat photos are great for finding funnels...:biggrin1:
    use the map to find a likely spot then punch the coordinates into google and click on Satillite...sweet...

6. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

These are great tools for the archery hunter, but there are so many that dont take advantage of them.

They leave their hunting up to luck or they swear that all the deer are gone.

7. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

terraserver.com has topo and arial photos..

8. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Topos are great, if you really understand how to read them.
    The USGS updates them about every 10 years around here in PA., usually with aerial photos that are compared and use them to modify the old versions. They add or delete roads, builidngs, lakes, ponds, bridges, development, woodland coverage, and even some changes in the ground due to quarrrying and mining.
    It's fun to look at 30, 40, or 50 year old ones and see all the changes in the area..

9. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Man!

Ive been missin out!
    I was in whitetail.com and this thread about googleearth and so i downloaded it, Man ive been starin at my huntclub property all day findin funnel's that i didnt know were there, and i thought i walked every ridge of those propertys but ive found some awesome spots!

Like a large soybean field about 1000yds on a neiboring property That i didnt know was there, Thats why the deer are climbing the creek bank going over there, Ive been hunting this property for 25years and finally found out why they travel where there going and why!
    WOW!:rockon:

10. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

We have maps from the early 1940's and the changes are wild. One map is now almost all water since the dam was built.

11. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Most of our maps were first made in the 40's. During and after WWII the government used lots of military surveyers and sophisticated (for the time) photo recon aerial pictures to make the maps we use today. If you look at the legend it will tell when it was made, and revised. Most are in the mid 40's.
    We had a update done and it now shows a pond where beavers dammed a meadow. Coyotes killed the beavers, the dam broke and drained, and now guys walk around looking for the "Lake" on the map. They just can't understand that it's not there.
    It's fun trying to tell guys walking around with waders and fishing rods in the woods that the "seculed pond" they see on the map drained 6 years ago, and only existed for less that 3 years anyway.

12. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

I tried to use a google earth map last year, but the area that I hunted most the time was cloudy the day they took the picture and you really could make out many terrain features. Does anyone know how often the satellite may pass over an area and update the photo?

13. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

local live

I use local live, I installed their 3D package, great stuff!!:rockon:

14. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

has anyone used the new GPS units that overlay your route on a Topo map and use an electronic compass to pinpoint within a few feet where you are ?

They also show the Topo behind your route markers so you know the steepness of the grade and you know if your GPS is showing a 3 to 1 up and you are you are walking on a flat surface that something is wrong. Also gives a great indication of the area around you and helps find great places that may have otherwise been missed.

VERY cool units... but a wee bit pricey