Tourqe and grips....

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by IChim2, Jan 16, 2008.

1. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

OK,i've been playing around the past few days with some grip/side plates and have discovered that i hold on target better with a wider grip than with a thinner one.The grip on my bow when i bought it was 7/8" wide which felt great to me untill i started playing around with what is now a 1 3/8" wide grip.It took a little getting use to,but after a hundred or so shots...it feel's really good and like i said,i seem to hold on target better with out the bow feeling like it wants to cant(sp) in my hand to one side or the other.Also,i've noticed that i'm more consistant arrow after arrow.Can someone explain whats really happening here so i'll understand it better....P.S.I'm not stupid:lol: i know whats happening.....but hows it happening.......Dang it....my spelling sucks today.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

It means you'll love Mathews bows and there club grips.:noidea:

Just backwards for me...to much handle and I'll torque arrows all over the place.

3. red44

red44 Senior Member

A wider grip sure feels more stable, but the question would be will you be torquing the bow without knowing it. The wide grip adds leverage to any off center hand pressure. Only you will know if it has bad effects for you. But I would try with fixed blade broadheads if you intend on using them with the wide grip on. Try purposely changing your hand pressure laterally from shot to shot and see if bad things happen. If broadhead flight is erratic, I'd bail on the wide grip. It could'nt be good for target either if broadheads show bad results. But your going to have to experiment. I love my shrewd grips that are flat but not wide.

4. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I tested with BH's yesterday evening and all seems well and i'm wondering if the size of one's hands has things to do with it.It could also be that i'm use to shooting Darton bows and there grips are fairly wide also.I have fairly large hands and that :horse shoe shape: that the grip settles into between your thumb and index finger...justs feels better.Sometime today i'll see how my group's are at 40yds.Thanks