Tracer Nocks

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by thjacobi, Sep 25, 2007.

1. thjacobi

thjacobi Senior Member

Has anyone ever used them? They look like a good idea but I am not sure if they are as good as they look.

2. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I don't know about the one's you mention but i played around with the lumi-nocks last summer and they were fun to use at dark...could see how good my arrows were flying.never used them for hunting though.Gave them to my son to play with.

3. BowTechArch

BowTechArch Senior Member

I will be using Tracer Nocks this year....did NOT have any luck with the Lumenoks last year.

Lumenoks = Very Unreliable.

Tracer Nocks = Haven't failed yet!

:rockon:

4. Timmer

Timmer Member

Make your own. It's cheaper and fun too. I make mine similar to those in the diagram and they work well. I use Bohning Signature nocks that are clear. Those are the brightest. I also glue the bulb into the nock Drill a small hole crosswise in the nock where the top of the red collar of the light is. This hole is used to insert a small amount of super glue. You can also just put the glue on the bulb, but I've had better luck with the cross drilled hole. Not sure where the diagram originated so I can't give credit where it's due, but I came up with the same idea a few years ago and made several this way.

5. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

I have had no problems with lumi-nocks. They are fun at night. lol

6. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I haven't had any trouble with my lumenoks either, I tried some of those thill jobbies and in my opinon they are garbage! Lumenoks are much brighter but they are $9!:mad: :noidea:

7. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I have used the lumi-nocks. 1 deer and 1 turkey. Nice to help find arrow. Had a friend shoot a deer that ran with arrow stuck in the opposite shoulder. We came back after it was dark to start tracking and could see a faint dot of light in the weeds. walked over to light and the deer was laying there with the arrow sticking up. No idea how the arrow didn't break off.:noidea:

8. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I think there's some states that prohibit their use for hunting and P&Y prohibits their use too.

9. thjacobi

thjacobi Senior Member

Forgive me for being stupid, but what is P&Y?

Thanks for all the info on the nocks. Hopefully I can get some or make some. :biggrin1:

10. Timmer

Timmer Member

Pope & Young is the records keeping organization for archery. Kinda like Boone & Crocket or SCI, but P&Y is strictly for archers.

I used the Lumenocks one year, but they were very unreliable. They almost always came on during the shot, but often went out after impact. Some guys have even had the small wires dig into the carbon shafts over time causing damage to the shaft. I personally don't shoot those lighted nocks enough to see that. The main reason I started using them was to find my arrow. I've made many of the homemade styles that can be found online including one like the Lumenocks. Just found those like I posted to work the best.

11. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Timmer, everyone,

Timmer's explanation is a good one for making your own but that does NOT work with Easton/Beman ST arrows.

And, you also need to realize that adding weight to the tail end of the arrow like that adds significant weight and will mess with your FOC. That goes for lumenocks too, which is why they now sell "practice" lumenocks.

Buyer/shooter have a head's up about that stuff. Great idea(s), but could cause shooting/accuracy/consistency problems.

Ron

12. Timmer

Timmer Member

You make a good point of adding weight and changing FOC. But it's been my experience that the extra weight does change things, but very little. I've shot them out to 50 yards with and without broadheads. I can't tell the difference. I'm sure there is a one, but not even enough for me to notice. If I remember right my light assembly added 13 grains to the nock. And yes they won't work for small diameter arrows.

13. cabodi

cabodi Junior Member