Tree Spikes

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Bhunte650, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Bhunte650

Bhunte650 Junior Member

What kind of tree spikes do you use? Or do you use a ladder? I am in the market for some new ones.

2. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Quit useing tree spikes when I had a new one break on me. Broke three ribs on my way down. I would suggest useing a good pair of climbing sticks. Most conservation areas won't allow the use of tree spikes, so check out the area your hunting first.

3. olman

olman Member

strap ons

I myself use the strap on kind it doesn't harm trees or saws if they get left behind and the tree grows around them. they are EZ to put on & off & seam secure enuff

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

They are illegal in all PA state forest, I would be willing to bet that they are illegal in every state forest across the US... they do signfigant damage to the tree and make it very vulnerable to parasites.

5. Bhunte650

Bhunte650 Junior Member

So is that the spikes or the others?

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Spikes that go into the tree, the ones you strap to the tree shouldn't an issue, same goes for ladders, if you have to secure them by damaging the tree they will be illegal.

7. Bhunte650

Bhunte650 Junior Member

So your saying I should invest in climing sticks then.

8. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

For safety purposes and to eliminate any damage to tree, yep the climping sticks would be your best bet. They are pretty versitile and could be used in oddly shaped trees. The climbing ladders are good to have also.

9. warrior_lk1019

warrior_lk1019 Junior Member

Really, to me, being an ex-tree surgeon, I'd use a throw ball and line then attach a 1/2 inch climbing line, and hump up the tree.... It's an aquired move, but once in place your in a saddle that you could sit in for hours and not have restricted movement.... You actually pull yourself up the tree as you throw your hips in the air... takes a bit of doing till you reach a limb...Then you can traverse the entire spectrum of the tree your in and clear small braches and limbs early in the hunt season with a folding tree saw.... It's just a thought, and something I do from experience....

Have a good one....

Les

10. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

I have seen these in use and seem to have some advantages......for the younger guys if you have a tree with no large limbs and straight up. But for this old guy, humping a tree and throwing my hips in the air, is out of the question :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

11. 1killerreflex

1killerreflex Junior Member

Go with a climber... you'll be happy you did

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

so if hugging trees makes you a tree hugger??? than what does humping a tree make you?????

13. warrior_lk1019

Of course easing onto 50 myself, this is not as easy as it use to be.... hahahahaha, I guess I had a memory lapse... I thought I was 31 again...... I keep forgetting to grow up or grow old.... I'm confused now on which way to go..... hahahaha not it's not that memory decease, ahhhhhh whatever it's called, I forgot that too....:laugh:

14. milrman

milrman Junior Member

treespikes

the bottom line is dude you can use whatever that you want. if you use tree spikes make sure they are the biggest ones that you can buy. I elect to make a 16ft. ladder out of treated 2/4s with 3/4 conduit steps approx. 14inches wide and 18inches between steps. then shimy the rest of the way up with my tree spikes. hey thats how i hunt. everyones different.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  15. warrior_lk1019

Your right, everyone is different, and that's what makes it sooooooo great... We can learn from each others experiences....... For me, ladder spook me.... don't know why, they just do....

Cheers, and happy hunting....

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I am not a big fan of ladders and never have been.......