Tree stand theft???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by BUNNYMAN, Sep 4, 2006.

1. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Has it ever happened to you?? Do you lock your stands to the tree??

How does everyone prevent theft?? Locks and cables?? Take out you tree steps??

I always try to remember to take out the bottem five-six steps.....at least they have to go to the inconvenience of haveing to get steps before they can steal it.....

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Never had one stolen. Had 2 vandalized, and another that someone actually cut the tree down!? I don't hunt that area anymore. I havent had a problem in over 15 yrs.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Cutting the tree down??? that takes some kinda jerk.....

Actaully that was my next question.....

If you found someone hunting your lease or spot, what lengths do you go to to get rid of them???? beside shooting them, hope it would never get that bad, except maybe in where was it Montana????

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Or in Wisconson where they shoot you.

That problem was on a farm I used to work as a kid. I had permission to hunt it along with maybe 5 other guys and 2 of them got the idea that they were the only ones that had the right. Now it's 15 yrs and 300 houses latter, no more problem.

I have never had a problem with other guys in my spots. The lands I hunt are mostly private with maybe 4 guys hunting and only 2 of use bowhunt. So we talk and stand swap and basically get along(till someone get that big one outa your stand, Then we rassle fer' it):laugh:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Thats what I meant.....my mistake.....

I dont mind people using my stands as long as they leave them were they are.....

Heck my first buck w/the bow was out of a wooden built stand borrowed from freind.....dandy little six pointer, that I thought was a spike when I shot it.....:doh:

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I missed a six once, and hit a seven w/ the truck on the way home:doh: talk about trading up.

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Most expensive deer you ever got.....:laugh:

8. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I've had stands stolen more than once. It really gets on your nerves. Thankfully I haven't had any stolen in years, nock on wood.

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

i don't leave my stands in the trees, its not worth the risk and expense...

plus if somone is in your stand and falls out your liable :mad:

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

You take your hang on stands w/you???

11. chuck7413

chuck7413 Senior Member

I have had stands stolen that were 20 feet high, locked and no steps.
    Just shows how determined some thieves can be.:mad: :mad:

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

if they did that you better beleive that I would be setting some foot hold leg traps to catch the filthy no good ANIMALS that did that.....

13. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

No he leaves em on the ground next to the tree, chained up like a bicycle:laugh:

14. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I don't use hang ons :)

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

And here we have either a failure to comunicate or a quote of the month......

16. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

is there a reason it can't be both? :biggrin1:

Personally I don't use HangOn's for the simple reason of I move around a lot when I hunt, I'm rarely in the same tree 2 days in a row and often have 4 or 5 places marked that would make good points, depending on time of the day, wind, time of the year...

17. atrapperson

atrapperson Junior Member

i had mine stolen about two years ago it was on private land which my son in law grand pa owens no body but family hunts there we took a couple of guys coon hunting with us and gave them all the coons we caught went right by my stand that nite went back a week later to hunt and it was gone cut the cable of and took my ladder stand now i dont know for sure who took my stand but that was the last time we let anyone go into our hunting area i hate a thief i get traps and fur stolen almost every year just because somebody is to lazy to work and save there money to buy there own gear weather hunting ,fishing our whatever well that is my nickles worth on the subjet

18. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

hide some trail cams in the area, you could also set a trap too, hook a small wire to it then, have the other end of the wire hooked to big fog horn, (or bowlin ball or a big rock) when they pull it down!! SUPRISE!!!!!! Thatel teachem, and if their out in the woods, you will have lots of places to hide the body!!

19. whitetailsnightmare

whitetailsnightmare Junior Member

ive had atleast 20 something stolen goin back 20 yrs, if its locked they bring bolt cutters or cut your rope anyhing to **** with you after a while i brought my shotgun, but he never showed i was gonna either clip em or shove the butt right in his head

20. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

i lock mine every time i put it up.. i even lock my clibing ladder! theres some scantless people out there! and i take it down durring the week when im not going out there.