Trying something New!

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Wheely, May 1, 2008.

1. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I went out today to try out the new finger slings I got from Firechic. I have never used one, so it felt very wierd and I slapped my arm every time with the string :Cry:

So, I decided I would not use any kind of sling, wrist or finger, and my shooting improved by almost 2 inches!!! I am going to shoot without any slings until I get use to it, then I will put the finger sling back on to see if I can use it correctly.

I do have to say, I really like the looks of FC's finger slings and they match my quiver (the fabric) perfectly! They are definately worth trying if you have never tried one before and worth getting a few if you already use them :peace:

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Finger slings take some getting used to. Your form should not change at all from no sling, to wrist sling, to finger sling.

3. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I know, I have some mental issues with gripping the bow :doh: and I have a hard time with my anchor point being consistant. I need to find a better anchor I think.

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Exactly.

The palm of your hand should be a fulcrum point for the grip on the bow. The finger sling (or any sling) is more of a mental 'insurance policy' in my opinion.

Good luck with those Wheels and keep them straight !

Ron

5. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

I try to loosen my fingers and use the pressure on the string to keep the bow in my hand. I had a local guy tell me that he KNOWS I clap my hand shut to catch the bow...so I took a few shots. Without SOME sort of sling I have to hook one finger around the grip. I forgot to hook the grip on one shot and when I shot the bow tilted forward and plopped to the ground.

I was embarrassed, but he was convinced I wasn't snatching the bow. I MUST use some sort of sling if I'm shooting my best.

My wife, on the other hand, takes constant reminding to loosen her grip. She tends to strangle the grip like...well...like something she'd choke really tightly. :D

So, do you think you can hold the grip TOO loose? I just keep telling her to hold it loose enough that pulling the bow string "finds" the same part of her hand every time...like a notch.

6. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

Ditch the factory Mathews grip. It will help with consistency.

I shot a Hicks grip on both of my Mathews bows. :cool:

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yup I agree the mainstream Mathews grips are way too wide/thick. There are exceptions like some of the Apex's and the Prestige that have an integrated 'grip' forged/molded/machined into the riser.

Ron

8. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

This is the exact thing that would happen to my bow if I didn't use some kind of sling. I hold the grip in the center of my hand where the two fleshy pads come together. I use string tension to keep the bow held in place, my fingers are pointed down range and when I release the bow rocks forward and the sling stops it from falling. I would think that if I used finger slings, that it would pull my fingers together around the grip and maybe cause me to torque a little? :noidea:

9. firechic

firechic IKE refugee... hehe

Oh what a bummer!!!! I do have to agree with Chris, that when changing slings.... you shouldn't be changing your form.

I would also have to agree with the other guys about the grip. Unfortunetly, Mathew's grips come a little too wide, especially for women. If I were you I would try a schrewd grip or any other brand of grips, that are smaller, to get as close to the riser or as flat as possible.

I too had the issue of constantly changing how I "grip" the bow. My hand placement was good one round and not the next. I was all over the place. I bought a bow that ended up having a schrewd grip on it. It made me put my hand flat every time and for the most part, always in the same place.

If you are all over the place with your hand placement, try this....

When you go to place your hand on the grip, (at the top of the grip) place the palm of your hand so that your knuckles are at a 45 degree angle, and the outer edge of your thumb muscle, is pushing on the riser... let me give you a pic... make any sense to ya???

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  10. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

That's only about 30 degrees, isn't it FC? :laugh:

I know one thing that works for my wife is to hand the bow by the string...relax her hand and point it at the notch on the grip....then lift the riser up into her hand. Then just go normally from there. I've seen some people rest the bottom cam on the thigh and do pretty much the same thing.

It may be worth a try (in combo with FC's good advice) to get a more consistent and relaxed hand placement.

11. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

FC has it right. Good illustration too. A little more info on this grip. If the bow feels like it is going to slide off your thumb and hit you in the head, you're too far on the thumb side. This grip also requires a low-wrist style as well.

And yes, remove, modify or trash the stock factory grip. Get a good aftermarket grip. You can remove the old grip and wrap the handle in hockey or golf grip tape.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  12. firechic

Another good tool to have around the house, to study and constantly look at is Straight Talk with Micheal Braden. He talks about a lot of different subjects... like hand placement, shot sequence, etc.... and gives very good advice. He's actually wrapping up a new video and it should be out here pretty soon. Good luck to ya Wheely!!!! :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

13. cookak

cookak I've got a fever!

firechic,

Do you have a thread for your fingerslings??

14. firechic

Will be making one tomorrow! :biggrin1: