Tuning help needed

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Mathews Man, May 25, 2008.

1. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

I have a mathews Ovation I changed the string a few months ago, when I first changed the string my AtA was 40.5 and my BH was at 7.5 and it shot well. But after looking it up on the mathews web site and calling a mathews teck I was told the specks for my bow were 39.5n AtA and 8 BH so I set my bow to those specks. But now my arrows all hit low no matter what I do, Does anyone have any sugestions as to what to do to fix this or what may have caused it? Any help would be great, Please help me get this fixed.

2. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

By changing the ATA, you have move the nock point on your sting. Did you correct it when you changed the ATA? You might also have to move the rest up or down to help correct the problem. Hope this helps!

3. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

Ok I have my nock point set 1/8 above center and reset my rest to come up during the last 2 in of my draw cycle. So I dont know whats wrong.
    I think I am going to try to move my site lens up and see if that helps, i dont know. Thanks for the reply.

4. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Just about any time you change a bow this much you need to retune and/or resight the bow.

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I have a 29" draw '06 model Ovation and my specs are as follows:

ATA - 40-1/16" center to center.
    Brace - 7-5/8" to front of the string.

Did you check the timing of the cam ? There are 2 little holes in it that need to be parallel with the string. Mathews web site has a perfect pic on how that should look when the timing is correct.

You also need to realize that the ATA and brace height are nominal measurements since not every string and cable are EXACTLY the required length. When I replaced my string and cable a year or so ago I had to add some twists to the cable to get the cam timing right.

Hope that helped...

Ron

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

If you are hitting low then moving your sight up is the wrong direction to move. I would think it would be your nocking point. But not sure. Give some more info. What rest?? Sight?? Draw Length?? Arrow weight?? Draw weight??

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Good questions but I think his issue is much more fundamental than that.

Ron

8. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

Ronhop I have the same bow. And the Mathews teck siad that the Ovation should be 39.5 AtA and 8 1/8 BH
    29 in Dl 60 Lbs
    HHA 5500ol with a Trophy taker shakey fall away.

I used the same markings on my HHA Site, I knew they would be a little off. But The way it is now my 50 yrd mark hits for my 20 yrd shot , It should not be that much different.
    What I have done is set my Nock point to center. The rest to come up at the last 2 in of my draw cycle. And set the rest on the center of my grip and checked to make sure it was about 11/16 from the riser. As per Mathews specks. I have used tooth picks in my cam timing holes and made sure the leval out with the string.
    My walk back tune shoots great I just cant get enough upward slide out of my site to make it halph the bow it was.
    Does anyone think that mabey the string is THAT junky. That I need a new one?
    I know my problem is most likely simple. Its just got me bangin my head against a wall to find it.

9. J.C.

J.C. New Member

when you reset your nock, did you also reset your peep?

10. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Good question J.C. That would definately have a great impact on shot placement. Pics would be great if you have a digital camera.

I would go to a reputable pro shop and have them check it out from limb to limb.

11. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

I just did a closed eye check of my peep and it was alot lower than I would have thought, So I raised it, what will this do to how my arrows impact?

As far as a pro shop I dont think I have a good one anywhere near me, I have 2 differant shops but other than selling bows, Sad to say thay have little know how or they dont want to take the time for thier coustomer sad.

12. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

your arrow will hit higher just like moving the rear sight on a gun

13. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yep like he said...

Also, are you making sure that the rest is in the up position when you're setting your nocking point ? That might sound like a stupid question but I found myself not doing that one or two times with my Ovation. I have the Mathews rest on mine and you have to go out of your way to be sure the rest is fully vertical before you initially install the nock point.

Ron

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  14. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

It seams that moving the peep has helped alot. I am going to shoot it more this week and see. thanks everyone for the tips and help.