Tuning my Whisker Biscuit

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by coyotekilla20, Aug 15, 2006.

1. coyotekilla20

coyotekilla20 Junior Member

I bought a new Martin Sabre Se last week and i had it outfitted with a whisker biscuit qs which i had on my previous martin and loved, however after shooting my new toy several hundred times i realized my patterns were getting worse not better and realized that my rest was loosening up due to the vibration from my bow. An easy fix, i thought, but simply tightening the screw moved the whole arrangement, i adjusted the rest accordingly, and now am shooting tighter groups than ever however my arrows hit what i aim at but they don't seem to be flying straight. What i mean is that i'm almost positive that it would fail a paper test and i know how to conduct one but what do i do to correct the flight? Should i just stop whining and be glad i'm hitting what i'm aiming at, Or should i correct it? Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks.

2. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Welcome to the forum coyotekilla20. Glad to have you with us. I love my WB I'm getting bullet holes in paper and hitting my spots.:biggrin1: You should be able to get that puppy paper tuned and hitting its mark. But, if its shooting good then just stick with it. If it ain't broke then don't fix it.:rockon: That rest if the best hunting rest on the market hands down.:peace:

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Sounds to me like your arrows aren't spined correctly for your bow, assuming you have recheked to make sure everything is lined up correctly as far as nock point and rest.

Keep in mind also you arrow will bend and flex when you release it, but it should still fly relatively straight. if it is hittingthe target at an angle then there is something wrong.

4. piethon

piethon Member

I agree it could be the spine on the arrows that you are using. I would recommend a paper tune, just to see. Also sometimes your mind can play tricks on you, while it may look like a wobbly arrow it could just be the different color vanes rotating down range. Just a few things to thing about.:noidea:

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

paper tuning is over rated :)

6. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Why?

Can't leave us hanging like that and not to hi-jack this thread, but why would you make a statement like that? Why do you feel that it's over rated? Is there a better way to tune?--- just a few questions b/c if there is a better way to tune my bow, I would like to know.

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Personally I never really saw a huge advantage to paper tuning. I've seen way to many bows that shoot perfectly, accurate well out pass 50 yards that have off tears on the paper tuning racks.

Everything can effect paper tunning dramatically, all the way down to what type of tip you use, the amount of glue on the arrows, the release used, the shooter, string stretch, wax or anything on the sting... Basically to me unless you are a professional archer shooting 90 meter targets and the bow is perfectly setup it is useless. Paper tuning also does nothing concerning FOC, how broadheads fly, etc.

This guy is using a whisker biscuit, which is a great rest btw: but if the bristles flatten even a little bit, the veins get wavey, you replace a vein, or get replacement tips that are not the same shape as the ones previously used then you have to re paper tune.

As for what else can be done instead of paper tuning... i perfer to shoot tune my bows. If I'm shooting a 1/2 inch group at 20 yards, a 1 inch group at 30 yards and a 1 1/2 - 2 inch group at 40 yards then I know that the bow is tuned perfectly. :)

8. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Point, well made... I know plenty of guys that feel the same way. I was just curious on the reasoning behind it. But I am still not sold and will stick to paper tuning as my first choice.

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

to me paper tuning is like Bore Sighting a rifle... it will get you in the right ball park but your still going to have to make adjustments.

Personally I'd rather just shoot a 3 shot group and adjust accordingly :)

10. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

ive never paper tuned my bow why mess with it if u hit where u aim and ur arrow isnt sticking outta the target crooked

11. 12ring4me

12ring4me Member

Try walkback tuning

Paper tuning will get you on course for good arrow flight, but to fine tune your arrow flight you should try walkback tuning. It is very simple to do, you should do it with a minimum of 3 arrows, 5 will work better, it will show your pattern alot better.

1. Hang a weighted string from the top of your target and place a point of reference towards the top of the string (i.e. stick on dot or something to that sort of nature.)

2. Stand at 20 yards and aim at that point and note the impact of your arrow, is it grouping straight on the dot.

3. Next, step back to 30 yds and use your 20 yd pin at this distance and aim at the spot. Note how your arrows are grouping.

4. Go to 40 yds and shoot your 20 yd pin at this distance, note your grouping, and how the arrows are aligned with the vertical string.

5. If your arrows are grouping at an angle, meaning going from 1 oclock to 7 oclock or 11 oclock to 5 oclock, then your arrow rest needs to be adjusted the opposite way of the angle. Angling right to left, move rest to the right and vise versa. You want your tuning to be in a straight vertical plane mirroring your string.

6. When you achieve this then you can simply adjust your windage if your point of impact is now left or right.

Hope this helps your out, it helped me out alot. If you need anymore hints on this PM me.

12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Excellent description of how to walk tune your bow. And pay attention to the adjustments... i always screw mine up and have to redo it :doh:

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Hey Chris I was wondering if there was anyway to maybe add a section for technical info and things......someplace were we could go to quickly pull up info like this (incase it slips or mind) and maybe be like printer frendly or something for those of us who dont shoot at home and have to go to our shooting places???? It would be great to click print and take the sheet along.....

The idea is to not have to dig thru old threads to find technical info...some of us know this stuff in our heads and some of us dont, I think this would be great for those who dont.....

14. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Great idea Bowman. :rockon:

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Now I just hope Chris sees the post......:doh:

16. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I saw it. I'm working on some ideas to handle what you want. Don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet.

17. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Chris sees ALL!!!

18. coyotekilla20

coyotekilla20 Junior Member

Thanks Alot Guys

Thanks alot for all of the positive ideas and pointers as for the spined arrows i am shooting gold tip expedition hunter carbons, i wish i could say more but i'm out to try out the vertical string test, thanks again

19. aggie2000tx

aggie2000tx Junior Member

Personally I would get rid of the WB. There are far superior rests out these days.

20. Fury

Fury Member

Damn I Had It In

Was useing a flip rest, & was slapping them together out to 60yrds.

Now I'm lucky with this new whiskerbiscut qs to keep a 12inch group at 40yrds.

I had it, why did i want & try to make it better.
    Ding D(&^&^&) gol dogit!:doh: