Tuning Problems

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Onyx Z, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

My center serving was coming apart, so I reserved it and installing the nocking point in the same spot I measured, or so I thought. I decided to paper tune it just to make sure everything was the same. Turns out it was very low of making a bullet hole. I'm talking about 2"-3" point high in the paper, but it was straight up, so I know the left-right adjustment on the rest is good to go. I moved the nock up so high that the angle the arrow makes to the rest is pretty extreme. Check out the link at the end of my post for a picture. I have no idea what is wrong. It was nothing like this before and was shooting very well. It is shooting decent now, but it still needs a lot of tuning, which would be kinda pointless until I get this issue resolved. Any ideas?

The bow is a Bear Instinct.

PICTURE

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. Joe_P.

Joe_P. Senior Member

After you reserved your string, does the arrow nock feel the same or is it tight. Maybe you use too large of diameter serving thread. :noidea: And how far away from the paper are you, about 6 feet is a good distance.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

dude you need to raise your rest or lower your knock point............

4. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

I'm standing 6-8' from the paper. I can't raise the rest since it's the drop tine WB. Otherwise I would have done that. I forgot my serving thread at the house, so I used whatever the shop had. It feels about the same size as the other stuff I used. I really clamped down on the nock, I thought it was moving to begin with as well. I guess I'll just start over fresh, seems to work a lot of times.

BUNNYMAN, I know the nocking point is too high, which is why started this thread, to determine the problem.

5. Werd

Werd Senior Member

yes. move that nocking point wayyyyyyyyyyyy down.

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

o.k. so what is the problem???

your statement doesnt majke any sense.......

if you allready knew what the problem was why not fix the problem and see if that takes care of it???

7. Joe_P.

Joe_P. Senior Member

I would start over, with the nock point about an eighth of an inch high and try again. If you smear a little lipstick on the point it makes it easier to read the tear. If the tear is nock low then raise your nocking point and vice versa.

8. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

You need to invest in a set of levels. The rest is ok. You never want you arrow above the Burger hole(I think that is what you call it) AE the rest bolt hole. You need to lower the nock.

If you did it at a shop they should have a set of levels. It will set your nock point to the rest level

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  9. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

I tried to no avail. I'm trying to get somewhat of a bullet hole tear, like I said, it was tearing about 2" high with a level nocking point.

10. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

I got it fairly level myself. I know a little about all this stuff, and I know the nock was too high, but with a level/slightly above level nock, it was still tearing high.

I just reserved it with my the same serving thread as before and installed a level nock, I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens.

11. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

what bow? single or daul cams?

12. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I agree. It looks like your nock point is about 1" to high. Get your center shot set with a string square. then put your loop on.

13. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

From the picture I can see that your nocking point is abnormally high. Nobody has asked, but I have to. Are you sure your arrows are spined correctly for the bow weight and length? What bow weight and draw length; what's the arrow length and spine number (5575)?

14. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

I got the correct arrow as specified by Gold Tip. 28" arrow length, 70 lb. DW. 7595's. The arrows were shooting near perfect before I reserved it/removed the nock. The serving thread was fraying and coming apart.

I did move the peep a little higher since it was just a tad too low, so the sights are naturally gonna be off. But that shouldn't throw this off.

The bow is a single cam Bear Instinct.

15. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

I think I found my answer. Posted on another forum.

I guess I moved the nock more than I suspected/intended to, after all it was kinda tight when I was moving it around.

16. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I saw the other post. Looks to me as if your arrows are OK. Something to make ife a little easier next time. Next time you do this put your nock set on the string and just move it till your arrows are hitting "point of aim" according to your sight. This would get you pretty close.

In other words, shoot at 20 yards as you did before and move your nocking point so you're hitting at 20 yards again, without moving the sight. This assumesyour bow was tuned before you reserved the string. With the nocks a bit tighter it might not be perfect, but should put you in the ballpark.