Tuning Seminar - Baltimore

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Allen, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Allen

Allen Senior Member

Tuning Seminar

Anyone who wants to learn bow tuning from the best, will have an opportunity on May 19 & 20. Len Marsh is putting on a tuning seminar at his shop, Macrotech in Baltimore.

There are a lot of guys that know a lot about tuning, but only tune a few bows. Len tunes well over a thousand bows a year of all makes and designs. He also works closely with the factories to get the latest information on every model. Len has a BS from Johns Hopkins University as well as 30 years in Mechanical Engineering field sales for defense electronics and is a Level 2 Archery Instructor

Very few tuners that you have heard from have this experience and these resources.

The seminar will cover many of the same topics that Len has presented in his ATA seminars over the last 5 years. (He will probably leave out the parts about dealing with customers. )

He sets the course around his Tuning Trilogy format: Tune the Archer, Tune the Bow, Tune the Arrow.

He will cover form (target and hunting and the differences between the two) and use video to individually show form flaws. Also covered will be the various types of releases and the techniques on how to use particular releases.

Bow tuning will cover everything including laser checking, timing, cam lean, nock travel, center-shot, etc.

Arrow tuning will cover selection, straightness, spine, paper and walk-back tuning.

The classes will be from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm on Saturday and 9:00 am to 3:00 pm on Sunday. There will be a break for lunch each day.

One of the great parts of Len's seminars is his encouragement of questions.

Cost of the seminar is $200.00 with $100.00 deposit when you reserve a spot and the balance due at the beginning of the first class.
    The class is limited to a maximum of 15 people.

Call Macrotech at 410-789-7777 to reserve your spot.

2. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Thanks for the info Allen. That would be great but a little far away for me.:doh:

3. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

tuning

Im sure marsh is a great tuner,but i think you under estimate some of the experence on this sight.
    I have been a mechinical engineering supervisor for 23yrs & owned a proshop for 10yrs
    Ive tuned well over 1000 bows some pro shooters have requested me only in the past to touch there equipment & in 1983 me & 5 other pro shooters from isack walton archery club, the first club in va shot in the great desert shootout in reno nevada were i placed 4th out of 3 thousand.
    I wouldnt charge a dime for my advice & he shouldnt either.
    To get people informed in this sport & to get people involved in archery should be a gift.
    There are other pro shop owners & past ones like me who i think have the same opinion,sincerely,inovative archery concepts,owner ken.:amen:

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

when i saw $200 dollars a piece I was a little shocked also.....

5. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

i know

Sinceless, theres a lot of archery sights that will teach you every thing you need to know,all manufactureing,pse,mathews,hoyt etc.all have tech teams that will answer your tuning questions<<< FREE >>>
    It burns me up when someone claims to be the best, IM not,Your not,and he's not.
    Thats like someone comeing on here & says he is the best hunter in the world.
    Some of us know more than others threw years of doing it
    Id like to have a sit down with mr.marsh, i bet i can stump him on tuning & out shoot & out hunt him.:mad:

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

but maybehe is prettier than you:noidea: did you every think of that??:noidea: :biggrin1:

7. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha Ha Ha

If he's gettin $200 for a sit down, either he's prettier or he's got the hooter girl's with him!:laugh:

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

hooter shooter........hooters girls...its kinda the same....:noidea:

9. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

need a new topic

Im tired of reading that learn from the best line.
    have you heard from cody?
    He was suppose to call me, i was huntin,i think i missed his call.

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

he was on earlier today.....send him a PM...he responds very quickly.....

11. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ok

Ill send him pm tomarrow.
    Back to topic: can you believe this guy:laugh:

My 19year old son can probably out tune him.
    Ive got a bachlors in mechinical engineering.
    I work with the same every day,some dumb as a tack some smart
    the only difference is that i was applying it to archery also

12. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Uhhhh...........that would be Mr. Adams.:laugh: :hug:

13. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I've been to a couple small seminars with Len at the ATA shows. He knows is stuff and people going to this seminar will learn a ton from him. I sat with him for breakfast last year with some Bowtech guys and had some really interesting conversations about bows and tuning.

14. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Hooter's girls ?!?!?!
    Heck if you want to see that you can plop down $15 and have a couple of big beers and some wings too.

Sorry, $200 for that ? It's FAR from worth it...

Ron

15. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I have been to many "archery schools" and most of them are $200-$250. For what we as archers spend for the next great gadget, $200 is nothing for a chance to learn more about tuning and better bow setup. I'm going to be getting some one-on-one lessons with an amazing shooter and you don't want to know what that costs. I be posting that story at a later time.

16. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, one on one would be really good and I would likely be willing to pay more than $200 for it. I just have some heart-burn over the thought of a bunch of people in a room all paying $200 each to hear someone speak in generalities about shooter, bow and arrow tuning. That's just me though.

Ron

17. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

one on one

right & wrong
    I would pay any amount of money for a sport like golf (which i have)
    or a sport i need to learn more of.
    Archery Ive been called to camp brady saunders at the national boyscout jamboree to give a hands on presentation 3years in a row for FREE!
    My time is valuble like anyone elses but if a few people need advise on tuning id probably charge $200.00 for the whole class, not $3000
    but thats my opinion!

18. Allen

Allen Senior Member

Perhaps I should have written "one of the best". If I offended you, I appoligize.

I have no doubt that there are tuners here who are very knowledgeable and can do a great job on any bow. However, I don't have access to that on a one on one basis. I've only been shooting bows for four years so I have to work a little harder to catch up to the more experienced archers and tuners. :)

One thing that I've learned is that Len is the exception rather than the rule when it comes to pro shops. I walked into his shop in 2004 with a bow that I had purchased elsewhere and Len gave me the help and information that I needed.

Since then, I've studied with some of the best including Larry Wise, George Ryals and Len Cardinale, but it was in large part my friendship with Len Marsh that inspired my passion for archery.

I have noticed that Len does his best to help everyone who comes into his shop. Being an engineer by training, he sometimes comes off as a COF (Len's term :)), but know that he wants to help every customer that comes into his shop. One of Len's faults (?) is that he won't lie to anyone about their equipment jsut to keep their business.

I've seen a video of Len's ATA seminar and he is almost as good at leading a seminar as he is at working on bows.

If the price turns you off, don't come. No one is holding a gun to your head.

However, based on personal experience, this is the going rate for this quality of information.

Let me know when you are having one of your free seminars. I honestly would love to attend. I have no doubt that I could learn from you. ( I mean that, I'm not being sarcastic. )

Best regards,
    Allen

19. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

NO offense taken!

Im not the greatest tuner in the world, i dont think he is,& i dont know who is!
    I apoligize for bashing him or your statement.
    I just feel that to many people in this world are takeing advantage of other's at a price!
    I was asked 5 years ago to hold a siminar at the virginia hunting & fishing expo,they would pay me $500 I turned them down & went hunting with my son.
    I guess in my life what im tryin to say is,at my age life's to short,money is nothing but paper & archery is life, pass it on!
    O and the other ? Sept 07, hunting & fishing expo, Ill have a table at the showplace, mechenicville,virginia Look for Inovative Archery Concept's ask for ken.

20. Allen

Allen Senior Member

I hope to be there & will stop by. Look for a short fat bald guy who looks happy as a pig in mud. I love outdoor shows. :)

Regards,
    Allen