Turkey Ethics Question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by SinGin, Apr 5, 2008.

1. SinGin

SinGin Banned

I am planning on bowhunting turkeys here in a couple of weeks. My only fear is loosing a turkey after I shoot it. So heres my question. If I practice, shoot only at yardages I am comfortable with and use the best equipment and only take the best shot possible would it be unethical to have my hunting buddy shoot the turkey in the head as soon as I connect with an arrow. That way it would almost be like it was shot with a shotgun. So what do you guys think???

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I don't think you will have to...
    But I wouldn't say it would be unethical.:noidea:

3. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

If you shoot them through the wing joint they can not fly. If you shoot them in the thighs they can not run or fly. Or you could go for the vitals or a head shot. All of these are what I would consider ethical shots.

Good luck and aim small

4. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

If you are afraid you are going to lose one then dont take the bow. If you are confident you can get one, then take your bow.

5. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

Is that why you gun hunt?

I figure if I do gut shoot one, and he gets away, its just a turkey. But I still take making an ethical shot seriously. In other words, if I lose a turkey, I'm no losing any sleep over it, a whitetail, yes, I would lose sleep, thats a lot of good eating that went to waste! Kinda. Cause it would still feed the other critters in the forest.

6. STRO

I see where this ethics discussion is going. It's just a turkey??? Shouldn't all game you are chasing be treated equally as far as a clean kill and recovery. WOW!!!

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

not when it concern's Slippy's relitives........(TURKEYS).........:noidea:

8. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Found the spy slippy was talking about.......

he's in here, stirring the pot. :boxing:

9. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

No its a lot simpler than that. If he doesnt have confidence he can kill one then he shouldnt take his bow. If he is confident then he should take his bow. I never said whether he should or should not take a gun.

Did I?

You get the idea yet through that thick head of yours yet?

10. Hoyt1986

Hoyt1986 GIT R-DONE!!!!!!

SEE me i am confindent with the bow but i ALWAYS TAKE MY GUN bc a dang turkey is hard enough to kill as it is!! Them bastards are confusing!!

11. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

Don't front. :hand:

And no, to answer the other guy, in general, not all animals hold the same value, not at all.

If you were fishing, and a big catch fish swallowed your hook on a catch and release lake, would you sleep that night? Thats what a I thought. Fish are animals too but people seem to forget that. Just this morning, I seen a live bat laying on the sidewalk, I stomped on it. Does that make me as bad as a deer poacher? Thats what I thought.

12. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

If you only take the close shots that are good angles you wont lose a bird. Wing joint or the hip, they wont go far.

13. STRO

I don't think I am going to respond to this one, just stay away from my woods.

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

YES they do
    YES I would sleep, the hook will eventually come out

And to just kill something to kill, makes you a piece of crap in my eyes:noidea:

15. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

This is why many have elected to go for the head, though maybe gruesome, its probably the most humane cause with a turkey's head, its hit or miss and if you hit, they won't go far. Now if we were talking about head shooting deer, there would be an uproar for all you 'turkeys are just as vailable as deer tree huggers'. They are not, do we as hunters still have a morale obligation to take all animals as humanely as possible, yes.

Am I a piece of crap for stomping a bat that tried to attack me, I guess so as long as Bunny thinks so. Afterall, his opinion holds a lot of water....:rolleyes: Until you've been attacked by a rabid bat, keep your opinions to yourself city slicker.

As for the other guy threatening me to stay out of his woods. Please don't threaten me.

16. STRO

I didn't see a threat there. I just said to stay away from my woods

17. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

I don't think I am going to respond to this.

Psych!

I took it as a threat but in no way was I offended, so don't sweat it bud. No prob, just a little difference in opinions I guess. :hug:

But for clarity, you want me to stay out of your woods because I don't think a turkey is as valuable as a deer or because I stomped out a bat that tried to attack me? Just curious.

18. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  19. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

First off colleg boy, I've never hunted a turkey with a bow in my life. This year will be the first.

And, I didn't think the bat attacking me part was relevant, didn't want to make it seem like I was afraid or something. :cool:

Oh, and in Ohio, there is open season on groundhogs, no bag limit. Does that make a groundhog less important than a rabbit, it seems so? :noidea:

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

it means there are to many and the numbers need to be controlled:noidea: