Two newbies here!

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by SteveNDave, Jul 11, 2007.

1. SteveNDave

SteveNDave Junior Member

Hello,
    First, I suppose I should introduce myself. I'm actually posting with my cousin as well, so I'll introduce him, too. I'm Steve, and I'm 25 years old. I've never held a bow in my life. My cousin is Dave, and he's 20. He took a semester of archery classes in high school about three years ago. We're going deer hunting later this year (not bow hunting) in November, but we'd like to try bow hunting around the same time next year. We figured that it's never too soon to start practicing.

Now, onto the questions! We're planning on talking to a few instructors here in Maryland, so that we can begin taking lessons. The thing is, I don't want to go in blind, and I'd really like some suggestions on equipment choices. At first, obviously, we'll be shooting stationary targets, rather than anything moving. Or at least, that's what I'd assume.

I've been reading through the forums, and this really seems like a great place to visit for information. So, any help that any one can offer is greatly appreciated. Ask any questions, and we'll answer to the best of our ability if it'll help you give us more information.

Thanks!

Steve & Dave

2. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

:welcome: Steve :welcome: Dave!!
    Why don't you each have your own user names?:noidea:

3. SteveNDave

SteveNDave Junior Member

Thanks for the welcome :). Basically because I (Steve) do more posting in forums than Dave does, and usually if he has a question about something, he asks me about it. So, I figure there's no point in wasting two user names when I'd be the one doing all the posting anyhow. :)

4. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

:welcome: to our little world of archery.

5. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Conjoined Cousins.
    Welcome to the site. I am sure all of us can help aquaint you to our sport.

6. Rocco

Rocco Junior Member

chinese twins:hug:

7. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Good ta have ya fellars \

Ya don't want ta start Bowhunting cause it kindly gits in yore blood and wont git out. doing it since 73

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. FEDIE316

FEDIE316 Junior Member

:welcome: There is a ton of useful information here, you can learn all that you ever wanted to know about archery, just remember that it's supposed to be fun!!!:peace:

9. the best way to learn about it is to do it :rockon: i have been shooting and hunting for 15 years now and once you start it is hard to stop Harvest your 1st deer with a bow and the guns go in the trash (so to speak)you dont need to pay someone to teach you just go to your local archery shop and if they are any good at there job there with teach you and help you all you want if you were in my neck of the woods i know i would i love to teach newbies how to shoot when they pick up there first bow and sling an arrow,you can just see the glow in there eyes when they hit the target:peace: :welcome: to archery and just get out there and SHOOOT:rockon:

10. SteveNDave

SteveNDave Junior Member

Thanks for all the welcomes!! Very nice community here!

Well, I live in the city, but the place we were going to go to for lessons was in the county nearby (40 mins away I suppose). Should we take just one lesson to learn the basics, or do you think that wherever we buy our equipment from would show us the basics? I don't want to end up hurting myself or picking up bad shooting habits in the beginning.

That leads into my second question. What kind of equipment would you suggest for beginners? We want to make sure we will enjoy it before we spend a lot of money on it.

I really appreciate the help!

Steve & Dave

11. you need to shoot alot of bows before you buy one get one that fits you and one that melts to your soul:biggrin1: you'll know the right one it is like finding the right women:amen: the pro sop will help you and teach you the basics just go and have fun and ask alot of questions.you will be fine

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome to the forum guys...:peace: