Upgrading my PSE Nova for Indoor Shooting...need help please

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Hunter235, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Hunter235

Hunter235 Junior Member

Greetings all,

I am a new shooter (about 5 months) and have fallen in love with the sport!

I have no intention of hunting, but really want to compete both indoor and probably 3d at some point. I currently have an older (5-6 years old) PSE Nova I am looking to upgrade to a more indoor bow. I know I should be looking at a 36"+ ATA, and 7.5" BH, but after that is where I run into what is a good bow.

I am currently looking at '06 and '07 Hoyt Vectrix and Trykon (both XL), '06 or '07 Mathews Conquest 4 or Apex 7, and also an '06 Ross CR337 competition 3D.

I think I understand the differences between the Mathews and Hoyt (Chevy vs. Ford....at least I think....:D ), but I dont know much about the Ross.

How does it compare to the others I am looking at? How much should I be spending for it, etc. I know some of those answers are probably "It depends", but I would appriciate any help you can give a novice.

Thanks!

2. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I bought a really nice pre-owned 2005 Mathews Ovation for a good price about a year or so ago. For indoor I have not tried a bow that's more comfortable.

I would see if you can find one to try out and see what you think.

Ron

3. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

take a look at some PSE 2005 sharks or 2006-2007 mojo's. you can get a heck of a deal on a mojo new. We got some at the shop cheap and new. Hybrid cams in target orange and blue. got a single cam nrg 2005 shark too in camo new. let me know what your thinking...

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

whats your draw length??

and by the way:welcome:

5. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome to the forum...
    There are alot of good bows out there for indoors...The big thing around me is finding a good dealer. :biggrin1:

6. Hunter235

Hunter235 Junior Member

Thanks for the welcome. I finally got off the pot and made a decision.

I was trying to decide between an '06 Hoyt Trycon drop away rest and 3 pins sight, '07 Hoyt Vectrix Bare Bow, '07 Mathews Apex 7 Bare Bow, '07 Mathews Conquest Bare Bow, and a fully loaded '06 Ross CR337. I decided on the Ross.

I went to my local shop and shot an '07 Ross and liked the smoothness and fit the bow had for me. It felt very comparable to the Vectrix and Conquest. The Apex was really a dream as I really couldn’t afford it right now anyhow.

Hopefully my Ross decision is a good one. I ended up with an '06 CR337 that was only shot for a six week indoor tourney and 7 3D tourneys. It is in immaculate condition and well maintained with a 28.5" draw, 37" ATA, 7.75" BH, and 50-60lb draw weight. It also comes with Winner Choice strings and cables in excellent condition, limbsaver drop away rest, a 30" Shrewd Carbon Air Devibe front stabilizer, and a 6" Shrewd Carbon Air Devibe side rod. Also a Toxonics 10 deg. angled quick disconnect and a Leven Doinker side rod mount and kickstand. AllI need to add is my Apex 6 pin sight, and I am good to go. All in all, I paid $450 for it. From what I have found, I think I got a pretty good deal for it all.

Thanks to all for your input!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yupper good deal you got there.........:peace:

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

You will be happy with the Ross. I had a CR331 and loved the draw, hated the A2A. Great fit and finish. Basically its an older Mathews brought up to date and improved upon

9. Hunter235

Hunter235 Junior Member

Hated the A2A because it was too short? or some other reason why?

10. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

yup it was to short. I liked the draw, didn't love the spongy back wall but it was nice for hunting and there was practically no valley so it was easy to let up but the A2A just killed me, it was all i could do to get my nose on the string and see through the peep because of the super sharp angle it was at.