Vane colors

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Wheely, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Do you boys and girls care what colors your vanes are? My bow tech couldn't believe it when I told him to pick the colors, cuz I don't really care (as long as they are NOT pink) Do you pick colors you like or colors that are easy to see in the target?:noidea:

2. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Colors!

I pick both!
    one time i order some arrows,couldnt makem fast enough!
    I told the guy i didnt care what colors(never again)
    He put on floresent/transparent pink & yellow!
    I had to strip them ugly vanes off!:biggrin1:
    Pick your colors if you order, if ya dont youll be sorry!

3. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Depends on what I'm shooting at. For 3d, I us flo orange and yellow. Same for the nock. Some of the guys use all black, so other shooters in their group can't use their arrow for a aiming point. For Vegas, I use a dark color, so I can see it on the center. For hunting, The woods are full or Orange and Yellow from the leaves, so if I miss , or pass through, it can be hell finding the arrow. I try to use colors that are not present in nature, except white (the deer can see it in the quiver if they look up and around) or that contrast my target. If one of my friends Robin Hood's one of my arrows, I'm happy for him, but WILL get even when he shoots first. I fletch my own, so I don't have to wait on a guy in a store.

4. QDAWG44

QDAWG44 Junior Member

I like 2 whites with another bright color. I also use a white wrap, the visibility is great for hunting. Being able to see where u hit the animal, finding the arrow in the ground or if missed, and for telling me what kind of hit i have by judging the blood.

5. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Down here in S.E. Pa our older deer get educated fast during hunting season. Hunters who don't go high enough and get spotted teach the older deer to be cautious. I've seen nice bucks and old does walk throught the woods, stopping regularly and looking carefully up into the trees in front and off the sides. They get smart about hunters, and go the other way if they see ANYTHING suspicious. The white in the quiver is more than enough. They sure lock in on it. The young naive deer don't learn very fast, and often get shot before they get old enough to learn good judgement. They really play the game down here. they can tell the difference between a harmless citizen and a hunter in a couple weeks of archery season. Too much pressure.

6. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I just prefer white/orange but I don't know why...
    I recently bought some black Blazers but I don't know why...
    :noidea:

Ron

7. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I have 3 white blazers on mine. I can see the impact of arrow better.

And besides......................arent white vanes faster.:noidea: :laugh:

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

White must be faster because they are lighter because they have no color in them...
    :laugh:

Ron

9. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

See there I knew I was right....................just did'nt know why.:doh: :laugh:

10. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I normally shoot blaze orange and Neon green blazers... mainly because thats what I have but I think I'm going to get some more different colors when I pickup my new arrows.

As for what Sniper said... he ain't kidding. We shot with Jay Are (the sandbagger :laugh: ) who was shooting black arrows, black fletch and black nock and with a few exceptions we couldn't see his arrow at all. Mine and my dad's stood out like a beacon to aim at.

I'm thinking about fletching up a bunch in black / brown blazers for 3-d (the ICS is a black shaft anyway).

As for hunting there are only 2 choices imho. White fletching w/ a blaze orange minority vane and a white arrow wrap or a blaze orange wrap. The arrows actually glow and you can easily follow them when you shoot plus blood stands out quite clearly so you can easily see if you got a good hit w/ your binos without getting out of the tree.

11. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

A lot of the open/unlimited guys use all black/brown vanes and nocks. The problem is when they miss (and some of them do), your arrow is usually gone...:laugh:

If anyone shoots at my arrow on a 3D target they're either dumb or don't want a respectable score or both...:laugh:

Ron

12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Yeah I was a bit torn in making my decision... Misery likes company and those gut shots I keep putting on the 3-d animals could sure use some other arrows near em :)

13. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

:laugh:

Ron

14. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha,dreadly!

The color of choice for me,hunting & 3-d!:biggrin1:
    On ICS!

15. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, I like them tiger striped blazers. I may 'bling-bling' a few arrows with those for the R-100 just for grins...

Ron

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I shoot black shafts, black vanes, and white knocks......(havent found and Black knocks).....goes w/the black bow.....:noidea:

17. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I usually go with Black vanes and Black nocks... I don't want to distract other shooters with my arrow when I hit the target outside the 8 ring.

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you know what kills me......

when a customer will request a camo shaft and a BRITE fletching.....:noidea: :doh:

19. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I don't care what colors they are...:noidea:

20. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

I shoot black nocks and black vanes for 3D. for paper I am shooting, I hate to say it pink vanes. thats all the shop had in the size I wanted. needless to say I have took some ribbing over them. and no they dont match anything I wear :biggrin1: