**** Vanes

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Chops, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Chops

Chops Junior Member

Okay....with a prong type rest (Spring Type) does it matter if the **** vane is UP, Down, or Out? And with a drop-away rest does it matter where the **** vane is? Reason why? I purchased a Jo Jan fletching jig and the way it is set up the **** vane is out when you fletch and arrow.
    Thanks

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

With a prong rest I put it down. If you put it out you may get some contact w/ the inside prong and the bottom vane. With a drop away it shouldn't make a difference.

3. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I'm not quite certain what your question really is. If you are shooting a drop away rest then the usual indexed position for the **** vane (feather) is either up or down. Depends on the rest and whether you get clearance in one position or the other. It's for you to experiment and find out.

As for the orientation of the fletching jig? It doesn't matter where the **** vane is locaterd. If you are using any arrow with a uni-nock system then you just turn the **** vane wto the psosition you want after you're done fletching.

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yeah the only time it should be a problem is if you are using aluminum arrows and glue on nocks, or cedar shafts.....

5. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Bowman's right. If your using any type of carbon arrow, you should be able to rotate the nocks and get the vane orientation the way you like.