Velcro is the devil!

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Dredly, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I can't understand why so many companies use Velcro for things like sleeves closures and pocket flaps... Is it a cost thing? I can't think of anything that is louder then velcro being opened or closed.

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I gotta agree with ya on this one Dredly.... I never could understand why people wanted to use velcro wrist straps on their release's either. :doh:

3. Witchy1

Witchy1 Member

I have a velcro strap on my release...:Cry:

4. bullfiddle

Let me clear something up. I aint bashing anybody for using a release with a velcro strap all I am sayin is they are not for me.... I will explain now why I don't care for velcro. Archery is all about repeating the same form and shot sequence over and over again so that you obtain consistancy. If you have a leather wrist strap it has a buckle and holes in it. If you consistantly use the same hole in that piece of leather the placement of the release will always be the same. With Velcro in my opinion you have a tendency to over tighten or get it to loose. Just my $.02....:D

5. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

That was worth more than $.02 Bull.......

I have swore off all forms of wrist strap releases...... I killed my doe this year with a Tru Ball Trail Boss! :peace:

My leafy vest has the fat plastic zippers which are pretty darned quiet.

Velcro is the devil......

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup........and bull, I never knew you were this smart......:noidea: :laugh:

7. bullfiddle

I been around the block a few times BM....:peace:

8. Witchy1

Witchy1 Member

Hey, just havin' some fun fellas! I didn't take it personally. Like I always say, what equipment people use is personal preference. You use what works for you. I totally see what you're saying about the consistency of a buckle and I don't argue it. I don't seem to notice any problems with adjusting the velcro on mine. I actually prefer the velcro because my wrists are so small. Makes for a better fit.

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Because some us are to cheap to buy replacement releases when we were sold a Velcro one back in the day? I agree though, thats what made me make the post. I just put my release on and it actually echoed in my basement when I undid the strap. Even deaf deer 3 miles away must hear me putting that thing on or changing it around... stupid velcro

I don't use my TRU Pro-Diamond to hunt with anymore since I lost one in the woods and decided 50+ for a lost release sucks. The standard wrist straps for the TRU Ball ones are velcro also

10. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I agree velcro is load but I like the velcro on my release. It just feels better to me.:noidea:

And like Dredly said I am too cheap to replace it.:tape: :peace:

11. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

they use a commercial grade velcro on this stuff
    try taken it off and useing a stand welcro it workd great and is a whole lot quiter.

12. SinGin

SinGin Banned

Velco is the reason I switched from Ameristep blinds to Double Bull, and everyone at that other site told me I needed to.

13. Witchy1

Witchy1 Member

Okay, someone help me out here. I'm relatively new to bowhunting and I want to get better at it so I'm always looking for advice. I put on my release at the truck before I head out to my stand. I figure the deer will hear the truck, me walking to my stand, etc... so I figure the sound of velcro isn't much more of a factor. Is there a better, quieter way to get to my stand without alerting everything around? Not trying to hijack the post, but does the sound of velcro really make that much difference when you consider the other noises that can be made?

14. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Not to me. But then again I don't kill many deer.:doh: :tape: :noidea: :peace:

15. bullfiddle

Well I kinda look at it like this.....I am not really concerned about the sound of the velcro if I am putting it on at the truck because I don't park close to where I am hunting. Usually I got about a 15 to 20 minute walk. There is nothing wrong with a velcro wrist strap...I just personally don't care for them. Now if you are taking that wrist strap off before you climb in your stand then that's different. You are creating a sound that is not natural. Deer notice things like that. It's kinda like your arrow falling off the rest and landing on the bare shelf of your bow. I am sure more than a few guys on here have had this happen before and the deer scram in a hurry. I think it's because it's not a natural sound they are used to hearing. just my $.02:wave:

16. Werd

Werd Senior Member

Zippers Are The Sons Of Velcro! :amen:

17. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Nope thats a good way to do it... I typically don't do it that way depending on weather (hot or cold) as I wear my release on the outside of my gloves and after ripping more then a few pairs climbing trees I've decided I need to take them off for cost reasons... so now I have to put the release back on when I'm up in the tree also if I need to change gloves (warmer or colder gloves) I can't without removing the release... really its a huge PITA

18. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Not unless ya rip it very hastely, this is not a hijack attemp but a very good post
    some of thses fellars just think a little noise like this gonna spook deer away that are out of sight

19. Werd

Werd Senior Member

You know, I've noticed that. Let me tell you a story. When we were in W.V. last year, i had my walkie talkie in my cover-all pocket. now i had it all the way up for some reason, and while i had 11 doe BOW shooting range somebody hit the call button and let me tell you, it was LOUD, they never even looked at me or act like it bothered them. I guess everything seems louder in the woods because you are all settled and quiet?:noidea:

20. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

you got lucky I've had radios spook deer many times in the past, I've even had car horns and slaming doors spook deer.. Deer will spook at loud noises that are out of place and get put on alert... Velcro has a tendy to make noises at the worst time (full draw)

If they are already on alert any noise will send them running, especially during the rut (doe).