viper scope

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Brent Hese, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Brent Hese

Brent Hese New Member

I have just bought a viper scope 1 3/4 with a green up pin. I am asking any one that has one if you have turned it around so the pin is before the lens. I have a differnt up pin that threads in behind the level. The problem i have is that when i remove my 6x lens i have to place it back in the same spot or i have to resight every thing all over. just woundering by doing this would it fix the problem or is it something i will have to deal with. i am wanting to do this but between working all week and shooting comp's all weekend just don't think i got time to expeiment. thnx

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

sounds like the whole scope housing is backwards to me:noidea:

3. Brent Hese

Brent Hese New Member

thats what i thought but thats the way i was built. do you think if i turn it around with a differnt up pin i can remove and replace the lens as needed it a 6x zeiss lens

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

its a viper right??

I have a viper scope and the lense is very easy to take in and out......

5. Brent Hese

Brent Hese New Member

ya it is but do you mark your lens so you replace it in the same spot.

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

mine is drilled center, so it doesnt move much:noidea:

7. archeryoptics

archeryoptics New Member

I am going to try to do this as politically correct as posible. I will always do my best not to put down a product. The problem is NOT in the housing. At the shoots that we have our booth at we offer free lens analisis. i.e. Check for optical center, accurate diopter rating and induced prysim, ect. We have looked at hundreds of lenses. The one you are talking about has been one of the....Lets just say if half of them went out of our lab I would be fireing a lot of people. Don't be fooled just because a company says it is a Zeiss lens. Zeiss is only an AR coating company and has as many differant coating as GM has had models of cars. I sure am not going to race a Vette with a stock 78 chevette. One way you can help solve the problem with that lens is to mark both the lens and the housing and every time you put the lens back in line up the marks. This will help.

8. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

my idiocy is about to shine here i am sure..what does it matter how you put a lens in? you put it in the housing tighten it down and it should be on shouldnt it? mine is just a lens though no dots no nothing just a lens.

9. archeryoptics

archeryoptics New Member

That is Not a bad question. I will try to say this without trying to make you all Opticians. If a lens is not opticall centered the perceved focal point of the lens will be away from the center of the lens. Moving the lens around would be like moving the target. since the pin is always in the same place but where you see the target will move as you move the optical center. If there is a prysim in the lens it would be like looking through the edge of your glasses and not the center. This is an over simplification of things but a quality lens will be both optically and geometrically centered. Some lenses are mass produced by someone who has never heard of an Archery scope.