Walmart Gorilla Wolverine or Summit Viper

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by gamegeekky, Nov 22, 2006.

1. gamegeekky

gamegeekky Guest

I've just got back into bowhunting at the age of 35 after quitting when I went to college. I took my first deer recently a doe and have had a great time. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and next year and would like to get a good climber. Right now I hunt out of a 15' ladder and a lock on stand.

I picked up a Gorilla Wolverine climber on closeout for $65. I really like the design. Specifically the ability to push the mesh seat back when standing and the way the side bars swivel to match the diameter of the tree. Negatives seem to be that it weighs 24lbs, it uses pins to adjust the cable, and the seat might not be that comfortable as well as being cool because of the mesh.

From my research, a lot of people like the Summit Viper. I like that it weighs 20lbs and looks like it is more comfortable. I've found an X5 at the local Dick's sporting goods for $199 on closeout. I've got a coupon for $10 off so that would make it $189.

Is the Viper worth the extra money? I've thought about just buying both but don't know if I'd use two stands.

Thanks for any advice.

chris

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

100% worth the extra money.....they really are a great stand.....I havea bushmaster X5 and love the stand.....the difference is the Bushmaster does not have the bar in front......I love mine.....they are quite once you use them a couple of times......

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I have the Viper, it's a good stand. I don't know about the Gorilla. But you're probably right, I only use 1 climber. When I get a new one I usually get rid of the last one. Hard to use 2 climbers, not like having 2-3 hang-ons up

4. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I've being using the Summit stand since 84. They are one of the safest stand out there. Also the QUIETEST. The seats are tops for comfort on those long days in the woods.and light. I have the cobra at 17 lbs and open front, If you plan on bowhuntiging these offer better shooting freedom. It has a removeable seat climber. I use it like a hand climber. You might find from one old stock or used. My opinion they are top shelf. Holy Smokes

5. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Guest

Def summit, Quite and they stick to a tree like glue. Just dont forget your life line. as in a good harness! Lone Wolf!

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I personally like the harness they include w/their stand......

7. buckkiller_06

buckkiller_06 Guest

i just bought that same stand early this fall and love it. From now on that is all i use, it is extreamly quite once you get used to it ,and they area very comfortable, it was only $160, pretty cheap for the how nice they are to own

8. pdq 5oh

pdq 5oh Guest

I don't think you can beat the Summit stands. They're easy to use, quiet, safe, and most importantly, comfortable. I can sit all day in mine. I even catch up on my sleep, at times.

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I have learned to tie myself off short and have taken a few naps in mine also....

10. gamegeekky

gamegeekky Guest

I ended up buying the x5 viper at Dick's since they had a $20 gift card with a $150 purchase.

I haven't had a chance to use either but doing a comparison side by side, you all were right. The Viper is king.

The viper is much simpler in design and setup. One of the biggest things I noticed though was that the Gorilla stand hit the back of my legs no matter how I adjusted the backpack straps. I couldn't imagine hiking a mile or two with that stand smacking my legs on every step. It also sticks out above my head where the Viper didn't. I'm sure the gorilla would catch on every overhead branch. The Gorilla is supposed to only be four pounds heavier but it feels like 10 pounds.

I've got the gorilla stand packed up and ready to go back to Walmart. Thanks for the advice.

chris

11. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I love summits they are amazing stands

Be smart though! you CANNOT climb shag bark trees with them (I promise its a bad idea!)

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I hate to agree but have to on this one......

13. UPSTATE

UPSTATE Member

Don't forget the lone wolf climbing treestand, what a great hunting tool that is.

14. dzingale

dzingale Senior Member

You definately didn't go wrong with the viper.