Went shoppin

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Wheely, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I went and talked to a guy in the pro shop. I am just looking for some honest opinions, seriously, if you have had experience with what I am asking, please help me.

First, what I want is a bow that I can hunt with, cuz I would really like to get back into it as soon as life lets me. I will be shooting all summer, probly 1-3 times a week just for fun. Probly no serious competitions, unless someone drags me into one, but mostly just a couple 3D shoots when I am able to go, or just targets out at the range. I don't have to have the fastest bow, but would like little arch as possible at 40-50 yrds. I would like to keep the price under $375 but could stretch it to $500.

So, here is how the visit to the pro shop went...
    I asked for a used Mathews, he said they don't have any, cuz people like them and keep them. (lots of PSE and Hoyt hanging on the used wall).

He showed me some Parkers, he told me for the money and my size the Parkers are the better deal. (than a Mathews)

So...
    Parker VS. Mathews for what I will use it for? for the money?

Single Cam VS. Dual Cam?
    Dual cams can have timing problems, right?

Cams Vs. Wheels or round cams?
    Wheels are much slower, but have a smoother draw?

What is the difference between the AMO and IBO fps? (ex...in the parker catalog, they have both & the AMO is slower.)

Is there a min. fps for hunting?

Let Off %? Higher is better? Let Off effects speed or just the holding weight?

Brace Height-the greater the brace height=more forgiving?

I didn't shoot any cuz we had the kids with us. I am going to get a sitter and go over for a couple hours as soon as I can, hopefully in the next couple weeks. I am not an impulse buyer, I will research the heck out of something before buying to get the best possible for the money. My hubby works hard so I can stay home with our kids, I am feeling guilty for spending anything on myself, even though he says - do it and I can have whatever makes me happy.

I know everyone likes different equiptment, but I would like your, more knowledgable than me on this subject, opinions.

Thanks guys and any girls that are still hanging around.:biggrin1:

2. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

How would a browning compare?

3. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

You better hang on th this gentleman> HS

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I wish my lunch period was longer....would be easier to answer some of your questions.....

but bottem line.......he was pushing Parker, to you.......but said he didnt have any used Mathews, cuz people like them........:cool:

I wont be home until late tonight.....have to work my second job.....and I just gotta call from Marie.....Brooke is very sick and she is headed home.....:Cry:

5. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Just buy a hoyt, J/K. Are there any other shops around where they may have some used Mathews? You can't go wrong with a mathews. Don't know much about any bows but mathews and hoyt, and oh yeah, my old fred bear whitetail. My first bow ever, bought it at WallyWorld. It actually killed deer just as good as any hoyt or mathew bow i have had. Maybe not from as far but it killed em dead.

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

see if you can find someplace to shoot and Equilizer, Prestige, Mustang, Selena, and Vulcan......and make your decision based on what feels best in your hand......

7. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Make sure you get a chance to at least look at the bows in Bowmans list. If you don't want to spend that much money, look at the Trykon Sport.

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

wait are you saying this is a good list???

9. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Money is the main issue, cuz of the reason highlighted in HS's post. So, for now I am willing to buy the cheaper, I don't think it will be too long before I can get whatever I want without money being the hold up. So, I will try the Hoyt.

10. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Yes, it's a really good list! Oh gawd, did I actually just complement Bowman?

11. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I recently heard this...Hoyt is a better Target bow and Mathews is the better hunting bow. True?

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

not...........

13. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

The only advise I can give you, is shoot every bow you can and make your choice based on what feels the best for you when you shoot it. Don't go and feel pressured as if that you have to buy a bow. Make the pro shop set up every bow the same and shoot a min of 3-5 arrows from each. If none of them feel right for you, get your current bow up to speed and wait for next season.

One of the ladies I shoot with has a Mustang and she is very happy with it. She uses it both for 3D and hunting.

14. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Its the shooter that makes it a better bow.

15. red44

red44 Senior Member

What draw lenth are you and how much weight can you draw without really straining?

16. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

No offense intended to Parker shooters on here...

but they are junk. They are made to be a hunting bow and that is what they are. If you are planning on shooting often then stay away from them.

There are a LOT of bows out there that would fit you well (26" draw is common) so you don't have to look for a girls bow.

There is no min FPS limit, there is normally a min draw weight limit through (normally 35 or 40 pounds).

You have lots of options out there. Don't rush in and buy something that you won't be happy with.

oh and with a 26" draw the brace isn't going to be THAT big of a deal but I would suggest going with at least a 6 1/2 inch BH.

A2A will matter quite a bit as I assume your "shorter" as in the mid 5' range. My buddy has a 26 1/2 inch draw and is 5'8, he shoots a 37" A2A bow for target and there is no way he could go longer so keep that in mind as well

17. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I am currently shooting a 26" DL but when I measured it was actually 25.5" and I am comfortable at 47 lbs.

18. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I think I will work on my Alpine, get a new string and change some things, meanwhile taking my time to shoot lots of different bows.

I am 5'8". My alpine is 32" and I don't want to go too much longer. Maybe up to about 35".

19. red44

red44 Senior Member

20. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

You said there were no used mathews on the shelf. Did you try ebay. There are plenty of used mathews there. There are plenty in the sports shops around here also. So I'd keep looking. You also asked about a Browning. My wife bought a Micro Adrenalene 2. Which she likes real good and Got all set up for around 350. But that was here first bow. If you are looking to uprade skip the adrenalene.....Hope this helps............