What arrows to get?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Alex, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Alex

Alex Member

What arrows should i get? I shoot mostly 3D but some paper. I want kinda Fat arrows but i dont want to be a jerk and have monsterious arrows either and i have kinda a low budget also so please post thank you.

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

get a half dozen carbon express cxl2....

3. Alex

Alex Member

i was thinking maybe gold tip arrows becase they arent priced that bad and they look to be pretty decent.

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

as long as you can find them......they have supply issues or so I have heard:noidea:

5. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Don't think you're gonna be a jerk if you have some fat arrows. Everyone has the option to shoot fat arrows so if they don't, that's their choice. I shoot gold tip ultralight pro x cutters and are very happy with them. They have helped me a lot with cutting some lines that I wouldn't have cut with a smaller diameter arrow. You can find them on this website. I have found that the prices on here are pretty good.

6. Alex

Alex Member

You can get those not the pros but just the xcutters for 60$ a dozen so i think i am going to do that and maybe put some blazer vanes or something on there im not sure any suggestions would be nice. And have you seen the 30 x arrows they are huge.

7. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

Supply issue w/ Gold tip is over. if you buy the .003 make sure you cut some off of each end to true them up. I think you will find that they will be very close to .001 staightness. Hope this helps

8. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

Thread hijack in progress!

Hey CSS shooter or anyone else..... With an Apex 7 set at 65-70 pounds and a 27" draw how fast would a set of x-cutters fly? I'm looking for something to go out to 60 yards....

two_shoes

9. Alex

Alex Member

Well i only pull 46 pounds at 26 inches how should i set up the arrow for best flight for both 3D up to 60 yards and also local shoots that have 8 yard shots? because i just got a new bow with a scope and there are no rules really here on scopes and how far the shot has to be in my age group so im looking for the best all around setup for target archery. and if it helps i shoot a switchback xt.

10. diamond-vic.

diamond-vic. Senior Member

well first of all, im 15 and shoot goldtip XT's with 2 inch blazers. i pull 55 pounds and 5 arrows touch at 50 yards. i shoot a 5 pin sight so i wood get sum goldtips. and as far as the sight, get a 5 pin. you wont regret it.

11. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

2 shoes how fast are you shooting now. and what does your arrow weigh. Because depending on mechanical efficency of your Bow for every 6 grains you drop off of the weight of the arrow you pick up 1 FPS roughly. Becareful not to go under the 5 grains per pound.

12. two_shoes

Thanks CSS Shooter,

I'll be setting up Godzilla... my new (to me) Apex 7. I'll have it next week. I don't know how it will shoot. I'm torn between x-cutters and the series 22.

-two_shoes

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

forget those crappy gold tips.....:biggrin1: :laugh:

14. two_shoes

I was wondering when you were going to chime in.... I would like to shoot an arrow that better represents the shooter...lets call it an arrow with a greater cross section (not a fat arrow).....:biggrin1:

15. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Thats exactly what I have heard from 2 different pro shops. I was at Cabelas last weekend and found some of the Pro Hunters that didn't have the nocks and inserts with the shafts. They sold me the bare shafts for $45:biggrin1: and I have a good supply of the nocks and inserts at home :rockon:

16. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

According to OT2

Switchback XT at 46lbs, 26" draw

Goldtip UL X-cutters, 25.5", pin-nocks, 80g nibs, and blazers
    FOC 7.71%
    Speed 238fps

Easton Fatboys, 25.5", Super-nock and bushing, 80g nibs, and blazers
    FOC 7.76%
    Speed 248fps

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  17. Alex

Alex Member

If i were to get the fatboys should i get the 500's what grain tips and what vanes should i get for best fps.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  18. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

500s would be fine. If it were me, I would go with 80g bullet points and blazers.

According to OnTarget your arrow weight would be 297g
    FOC would be 7.26%
    Speed would be 240 fps

Cranking your limbs up to 50lb would increase your speed to 247fps

There are lighter arrows out there, but they are a lot more $$$$$$$$$$

19. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Tha bigger tha better is my thoughts..... HS

20. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

If you were my child I would was your mouth out with soap!!!