What Bow should I buy?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by vedmic, May 13, 2008.

1. vedmic

vedmic New Member

I've bow hunted before, but had to let it rest for a while. I am looking to get back into it and was wondering what is the best bow or brand of bow out there. I am partial to Matthews, but have some Cabalas points I would like to use and am wondering if, parker, diamond, or Martin can compete. Thanks.

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Diamond can. look at the Black Ice and Marquis. if they have a Parker Blackhawk, check that one out too.

3. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

:welcome: to the forum and back to shooting a bow. Mathews makes an awesome bow but there are alot of great bow compaines out there.

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

If you are looking at Diamond I highly recommend a Black Ice...really nice shooter...
    That said there are great bows out there from every manufacturer...and all you can do is get out and shoot a bunch of them...

5. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

I'm was in a similar boat to you...hunted...got out of it for a while, then getting back (though into 3D more than hunting).

As others have said, there are a lot of great bows to choose from. I'm amazed how far they've come and the field is a lot more level these days than most would care to admit.

The key differentiators I've noticed are:
    • local availability & support (i.e. shops)
    • best negotiated purchase price
    • delivery lead times
    • variety of styles in the range
    • manufacturer warranty/support (smaller gap than some)
    As for speed, KE, cam technology, finish, and so on....they seem to be fairly on par and mostly defined by what you want/like.

As others have said...go out to shoot and window shop and buy whatever makes you feel giggly. If you don't have the luxury of laying your hands on a bow (like me) then read the specs, ask advice on specific bows here (or a couple once you've narrowed it down), and look at pictures of them.

Finally, after you get your bow don't keep "shopping" to see if you made a good choice. Shoot it to decide that!

Have fun...enjoy your purchase...and keep the pointy bits down range.
    :welcome:

6. canam kim

canam kim New Member

You surely can't go wrong with the Diamond line of bows! You can get a nice bow with some good speed and KE and enjoy the quality! Have fun choosing! That's always the best part. :)

7. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

:welcome: :welcome: I won't tell which bow to buy because basically they are all good bows. What I will say is try as many as you can and get the one that feels the best and shoots the best for you. I wouldn't worry too much about speed or astetics, get the one your most comfortable shooting and you will do well. Be advised, there will always be someone who will tell you that the brand you chose is not as good as theirs. They are wrong! The bow is only as good as the shooter. (That may explain my score last Sunday :laugh: )

8. vedmic

vedmic New Member

Thanks so much.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am new to this forum and really appreciate all the help.

9. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

Elite is probably the "best" bow out there from what I've seen. But, if you are partial to Mathews, those are very good bows as well.

10. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

When i was looking to buy a bow i was actually looking not to buy a Mathews. Shot PSEs BowTechs Alpines etc. You name it I shot it that was a lot of fun but in the end my bow picked me and it turned out to be a Mathews Drenalin. All in all the shops that I haunted in my search were very understanding and surprisingly there was little bad mouthing of the other manufacturers. All the bows out there are good quality now and in the end if your experience is like mine was your bow will actually pick you. Happy hunting and welcome to the forum.

11. Hoyt Katera

Hoyt Katera New Member

Try Hoyt

I now that you said that u like Mathews alot and u have some Cabelas points take a look at the Hoyt Bows. Their new bow the Katera is expensive but i would go and shoot it, it shoots totally silent with their new Stealth shoot.

12. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

The bow that can compete is the one that you feel good with after it's PROPERLY set up for you...

Hoyts are good, Bowtechs are good, Mathews are good, Martins are good and the list goes on and on.

The only way to be satisfied is to try as many as you can and be absolutely sure the bow is set up for you correctly, expecially with draw length, because differences in that will have a profound effect on how you feel about a particular bow.

We all have our preferences, however you can tell from certain responses that opinions differ. There is a reason for that.

I own 2 Bowtechs and 1 Mathews... There is a reason for that too...

Try as many as you can and pick one that you feel good with.

Ron

13. DR. JAM

DR. JAM JOSHUA 24:15

I agree that you need to shoot as many of the bows you mentioned to see what "fits" you best. Make sure you try the Drenalin LD- it is a good all around bow.