What bow to buy?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Rodgann, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Rodgann

Rodgann Junior Member

I am going to get a new bow and I'm having a hard time deciding what to get.I can get any bow from Basspro at 40% off. Or I can pay full price and get a Hoyt or a Mathews.Basspro carries PSE,Redhead,Parker,Diamond,Browning,Fred Bear. What would you buy?

2. BryanG

BryanG Junior Member

Mathews

Switchback is worth every penny!!

3. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

You need to get to a pro shop and shoot as many bows as you can and see which ones feel best to you then after you have narrowed it down to 2 or 3. Then start listing pro's and con's then decide what means the most to you (quietness,smoothness,speed,price) you also need to decide what the bow will be used for (hunting and target or hunting only or only target)??????????

Do not just simply ask us and then go buy the bow. If I were choosing a bow right now I would go with either the Switchback XT or Bowtech Tribute with that being said someone else may not like those bows at all. Good luck:peace:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  4. Rodgann

Rodgann Junior Member

This bow would be for hunting only. I was just trying to get a feel for what guys are shooting. Thanks for all the info.

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Mathews Switchback is a great bow although I would save a few pennies and get a used one......no sense in getting the depreciation (the money it will imediatly loose off its value from new) of taking it out of the door of the pro-shop.

6. NE1C_my_arrow

NE1C_my_arrow Member

Amen to that.. You can buy a used SB and save some serious $$$. Mathews makes an awesome bow. I shot a Legacy for about the last two years and loved that bow. I would have gotten a Switchback, but the cost was prohibitive to me. Also, since you can get a nice discount at Bass Pro, try out that Browning Illusion. I ended up getting a closeout 05' model for $499 NIB and I love mine. I would put it up against a Switchback any day (and have on the 3D course.. :biggrin1: ) for quietness, speed and for hunting the short ATA would be ideal (just like the SB). Has just a tad more handshock than the Mathews but then again, I've NEVER shot a bow that was as dead in the hand as a Mathews. That's one area that they truly excel. I would have to say that 40% off any of those bows would be an awesome deal!! I would have to wholeheartedly agree with the advice given above. Shoot as many of them as you can, and then make a decision based on what YOU want and need. Everyone is different, so everyone's "perfect" bow will be different.

7. Radar

Radar Story of my life

Bowman I thought Mathews lost all value after the sale?J/K:biggrin1: :laugh: :biggrin1:

I went against my better judgement putting that in there, havent had enough coffee yet to resist

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  8. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I'll diverge here. Assuming you only want the bow for hunting and maybe some ocassional 3D I'd look at the Diamond. If it's 40% off you probably can't so better. I would guess that with the discount you could get the best Diamond completely set up with accessories and still be a couple hundred less than a Switchback---bare.

Yeh, a Hoyt or Mathews would be nice, but they're not worth that much more

9. Radar

Radar Story of my life

Bfisher, you don't think that top of the line technology is worth the extra money then what is?:noidea:

10. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

If money is tight I would definately give the new Bear/Jennings a try (Code,Instinct,Element) they are very sweet and will make great hunting bows.:peace:

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I was just down to Gander Mountain this evening and saw the element for $349.00???? is that true???? The guy in the shop area said the new Fronteir from parker is the best shooting bow on the shelf.....so I had to try it....it is nice....But I dont know about $699.99 seems steep to me.