What call for deer?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by tresmon, Aug 13, 2007.

1. tresmon

tresmon Member

Gang,

I have never taken deer hunting so serious. But I did an experiment since spring and found that many medical books are right. I eliminated ALL commercial meat out of my diet. I only eat wild meat now and man is my Asthma and other malaise better! So this season my wife and I need to get our limit of venison.

So:

I have never took deer calls serious. What is the "real world" truth about them.

What call do you use when? What brand call is best?
    Any and all deer calling info appreciated.

2. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

the best deer call i have ever used is be very still and very quiet..... bucks during the rut you can get their attention with grunt calls and rattling but otherwise find where the eat and sleep and set up on the path and be very quiet..... does sometimes in very early season a fawn bleat may get the attention of a doe ... but again find where they eat and sleep and ....Bingo

3. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

The only call that I will not go ito the woods without is "The Can" by Primos. It has brought them into me every time.

4. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

I like my MAD Buck Growl, but I only use it during certain phases of the rut or when I can hear or see a buck. Most of the time I rely on silence and staying as still as I can for as long as I can.

5. VE6WTF

VE6WTF Senior Member

I called a doe with a yote call,
    Curoisity killed the deer :peace:

6. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

A lot depends on where and when you hunt.

If your hunting deer that get hunted a lot just leave the calls at home.

Deer calls work a lot better on TV than they do in real life.

7. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

I've had does come in with fawn bleats on a fairly regular basis.
    I've also had young bucks come in to grunts but only if they were in sight and not heading my way.

I've never had a buck come in with blind calling although I haven't tried it that often.

At the tail end of last season I had a buck and several does come across a dried creek bed and were passing the wrong side of a thicket from me. With soft grunts they kept coming back and looking on my side of the thicket but I couldn't get them to take that extra few steps. This went on for about 15 minutes before they got tired of looking for the invisible deer and continued on their way.

8. Jacobite

Jacobite Member

jsut remember not to stare at the wolf for too long or the mouse may come and nip you in the ankle

deer/wolfe same thing

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

what?........................

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

this man speaks the truth!!!!!!

11. tresmon

tresmon Member

Thanks all. I was assuming that a fawn bleat on opening day if there's no action was the closest to a "sure thing" as there is.

Thanks.

12. outdoorsman

long days of pre scouting and time watching deer from the distance so they roam their normal route seems to be the best form of hunting for me.... if calls worked as far as bringing them to us we would not have to do all the homework in the areas we want to hunt..... thats most of the fun... ok part of the fun :D

13. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I like the fawn bleat early in the season. This year I am going to try the snort wheeze.

I also use the buck grunt.

14. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I have had mixed results . I have had deer slip up on me and when I moved tha call ta my mouth ta call again they would blow and run like tha devil was after them.:Cry: that was when I was just trying ta git something goin' on a slow day. It has worked on 2 occassions fer me.
    I have called and they came in i have called and you would think that they were deaf.
    It is a good call ta stop a walkin' deer fer a shot. or turn a deer in your direction
    i have learned how ta grunt with my own voice and it has been tha most effective.

use them sparingly. you may have ta learn like I did. by doin' it.

15. outdoorsman

agreed... you can stop a deer.... whistling also works great for that.... you can also turn a buck by grunting at rut time..... as for calling the deaf ones... man i have done that enough:laugh:

16. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

Lets see..hows that go???

Oh yeah....

PUFF, PUFF, PASS..........:bowl:

17. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

last years the first time ive ever actually called and i rattled in a little 4 point and used the can to bring in a 6 point i only do that durin the rut if i get really bored