What Can I Eat in my stand?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Cablegaurd21, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 Senior Member

I have gone on all day hunts b4 but never ate anything. What can I take to eat that won't spook deer? Please help, I don't want to go hungry anymore:Cry: .

2. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Brown Sugar pop tarts, nutri-grain cereal bars, peanut butter crackers, apples anything like that you should be good. If I sit all day there is no way I would make it without food. I sat 13 hours thursday last week and made it all day on 2 brown sugar poptarts, that was rough! I dropped a piece of pop tart last year and a doe came walking by my treestand and sniffed around until she found the piece I dropped! I think she liked them more than I did.

3. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

apples or anything with peanut butter.

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

i'm a big fan of Granola bars (Natures Valley) and Pop-Tarts. Both hold up well to being beaten up in your pack, (crushed is as good as new) no worries about liquid leaking out or them getting moldy, melting, making a mess on your gloves... etc

I had some poptarts in my pack from last year, they were still good when I went through my stuff this year.

Just MAKE 100% SURE that you take them OUT OF THE WRAPPERS and put them in a ziploc. its amazing how much noise a wrapper makes in the woods.

5. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Good point dred, the wrappers are crazy loud. A deaf deer could hear you unwrapping poptarts!

6. timberghost

timberghost Senior Member

beef jerky, power bars, granola bars, vienna sausage, spam.:D

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Right now in my pack I have the 'fun size' payday and snickers bars they sell for halloween. I also have vienna sausage in mustard sauce (the original and BBQ are both bad to me.) and the individually wrapped fig newtons. I get all that stuff at the dollar store.

I also sometimes put hot cream of tomato soup or hot chicken noodle in a thermos. It depends on how windy and cold it is. If it's windy I'll bring hot soup. I always hunt downwind from bedding and feeding areas so I don't worry about scent from that kind of stuff. Not only that but where I primarily hunt is on a large farm along side a pretty big metro area so the deer have experienced a ton of smells like that because of the humans in their midst most of the year.

Ron

8. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I dont know about the snasages....:noidea: Mabey so, but I would stick with more things like cereal bars, those little Austin peanut butter crackers, whole apples, not slices - unless you like them brown....oops I dropped a couple...is that baiting???? :noidea: :hungry:

9. Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 Senior Member

Thanks! Now I can enjoy hunting without spooking deer with my growling stomach...:lol:

10. Werd

Werd Senior Member

i eat everything. once i was so hungary i shot a squirrle and cooked it on my bow it was SO FLIPPIN HOT. :D this weather needs to go down