What kind of bow should I get????

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by firechic, Sep 11, 2007.

1. firechic

firechic IKE refugee... hehe

So I have about a 4 year old PSE Nova and my husband wants me to get a new one. He keeps saying something about a mathews.

So what I'm asking u guys is what do you think I should get? I don't want to spend that much money, but some. I want to be able to shot it for hunting and for tournements. DL: 26.5 DW: 45-55 and maybe more.

Do they make bows for females that go higher than 45lbs?

Thanks!:wave:

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Take a look at the Martin Leopard. It is affordable and built for smaller framed archers. Any bow that accomodates a 26.5" draw and a weight you can pull will work for you. Most "womens" bows are just smaller and lighter. There are bows out there that go down to a 26.5" draw and come all the way up to 70lb draw weights. Bows don't know the difference between a man and a woman.

The Martin Leopard weighs 3.9 lbs and goes to 50lb draw weights.
    The Martin Cheetah weighs 4.3 lbs and goes to 70 lbs.

My wife just got a Leopard and it is a well made bow for the money..... Shoot a few and see what you like....

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

4. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I shoot a Mathews XT. My DL is 25.5" and I am pulling 48# I really like this bow :rockon:

5. J.A.G.

J.A.G. Senior Member

These are my choices, Hoyt.. You can get several models in that draw, and limbs that are 30-40 or 40-50.. just look at the chart on their website. Lots to choose from.

or the newest thing, which i am waiting to receive, a High Country Iron Mace, or a Stiletto.. they dont go real short, but can get your length.

Doesnt have to be a "girl bow"

6. Timmer

Timmer Member

One bow I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Bowtech Equalizer. It's a shorter draw bow and carries quite a bit of speed even at the shorter draw length. Know of a couple of guys that shoot it and are very pleased.

Draw lg. 24" - 27.5"
    Drat Wt. 30, 40, 50, 60
    @ 27.5" it's rated for 300-308 fps.

7. Timmer

Timmer Member

That Iron Mace is a real shooter. It was my second choice behind the Guardian. And the company just recently changed their warranty to offer a true lifetime warranty. That was a sort of grey area before. Unless you order online, then the warranty is only 1 year. At least this is the latest I've heard about the situation.

8. jsharp

jsharp Junior Member

ok i just went through this for 4 weeks and i shot 20 plus bows. some i liked and some i didn't. some i could afford some i could not. this was the craziest thing i have done. my wife made fun of me because i usually walk in pick up what i want and im out. but i would sit at the counter looking and shooting bows. i finally decided and today was the first day i shot my bow and i absolutely love it. there were 2 guys there when i was practicing and they loved it. it has the most comfortable handle fit in the palm perfect. the let off is 80% and i can hold it for ever. in 5 min i had it sighted in and at 20 yds i was grouping less than 4 inces. what is this bow? alpine silverado match.:peace:

9. bamaboydave

bamaboydave I'm with Firechic

See honey if you would just let me get you a Mathews it would all be in the X ring....

10. firechic

firechic IKE refugee... hehe

yeh, yeh, yeh.... I hear that from you all the time! :biggrin1:

I still do pretty well with my PSE and WB....

11. bamaboydave

bamaboydave I'm with Firechic

Do yall think she should shoot a Bowtech for the speed????

12. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I love my mathews, but if I were to try another brand, it would probly be Bowtech first :decision:

13. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

:frusty: :frusty: :boxing: :flock:

14. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

If you want speed look at the bowtech equalizer, a friend of mine shoots one and it puts up some good numbers and its quiet. I love my trykon, but with your drawlengh and poundage the equalizer would probally give you the most speed!

15. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

What's this all about? :lol:

16. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

One of the female archers I know that shoots 3D just got an Dernaline... It was a high price tag, but from what she says, it was money well spent.

17. J.A.G.

J.A.G. Senior Member

The dealer that I know, which is HCA's top dealer, has always warrantied them for life. that has never been an issue for me.

18. Pinwheel1969

board....:laugh:

19. Pinwheel1969

you should have bought a 50# X-force and cranked her down. That would have been a serious tourney and hunting bow. and w/ that draw weight. it still would have been faster than most 60# bows...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

20. rpford53

rpford53 Member

If you want speed, smooth draw, no hand shock and a very accurate bow, and probably the best bow on the market get PSE Xforce. But since price is a concern try to find a Mathews Mustang, it is just what you are looking for.