what poundage

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by longcut36, Nov 12, 2007.

1. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

would like to know if anyone over 55 years old is shooting 55# are more on their bow. if yes are you having any problems with left arm or shoulder. I have about always shoot around 60# but am now having elbow and shoulder problems. wondering if as you get older and bones more brittle you should lower the poundage some. also wondering if a B.T.might cause more damage over a period of time than a trigger type release. not being able to shoot has left me to much time to sat around and think.

2. I missed

I missed Senior Member

my dad is 52 and he shoots about 64# and its his left shoulder that hurts but hes left handed

3. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I use ta shoot 80 in my younger days
    now it 60-65
    Man yore blessed if its just yore shoulder:lol:

4. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha.

My dad shot 60lbs at age 67 but he only bowhunted and would go outside every day and shoot only 6 times from aug. until oct when season came in.
    He couldnt shoot a bow after around 67 or 68 years old and passed away 4 years ago at 78years old but loved huntin with bow and gun.:biggrin1:

5. retread

retread Junior Member

I'm 60 and shoot 60#.
    If it bothers you shoot less #. 50# will shoot thru a deer, and paper & foam die easier. :D

6. Scablands

Scablands Member

I have bows set anywhere from 60-68#'s depending on the cam draw cycle. Never had any left shoulder problems. Shot 75#'s for years until I got 60#'s that performed as well as the older bows did at 65-75 +.

7. Old

I am 73 and shoot a couple of field rounds and a couple of indoor rounds every week with a 60# Switchback LD.
    Switchback LD 60#
    28" draw
    Alpine Whisperquiet rest
    VICTORY VForce 400 V1 Arrows
    85 gr points
    TRU Ball Short n' Sweet release
    Am in the process of buying a new Carter Evolotion + release

8. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

At the ripe old age of 60 I dropped poundage from 70#'s down to 62#'s, Feels a whole lot better. If I had the other limbs I might have dropped lower. No sense taking any chances now that could hurt me in the future.:noidea:

9. Preacher

Preacher Junior Member

I'm 66 and shooting 56lb right now. I normally shoot 60lb but had to drop the poundage to get the speed down for ASA.

When I was a youngster at 55 yr old I was shooting 70lb.:D

10. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

:laugh: :lol: now thats funny.

I am going to be 40 next year and I do believe the next hunting bow I purchase will be 60# max. I'm tired of hearing about guys with bum shoulders wishing they had went to lower poundage earlier in life.:peace:

11. Preacher

Preacher Junior Member

That is a smart move. There is nothing that you can do with a 70lb bow that you can't do with a 60lb bow. I wish that I had started with a 60lb bow myself. :biggrin1:

12. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

If all you hunt is deer then there is little a 50# bow won't do as well as 70# or even 60#. Although some guys can "easily" handle 70#, what they don't or won't admit is that they could handle (control)a lighter weight better---more accurately. TESTOSTERONE!!!!!!!!!!

I used to shoot bows in the mid to upper 60's. As I've gotten older and bows have gotten more efficient the weight keeps coming down. Whereas I used to shoot velociities of about 270 fps with 66-68# 15 years ago I get the same speeds today shooting about 53#. Granted, the arrow is lighter, but somewhere along the time line I came to realize it doesn't matter how far the arrow goes after the passthrough. The end result is the same.

And for 3D I am getting speeds between 290-300 fps at that 53#, with a 27" draw.

Right now, due to neck surgery, I'm shooting my 55# Pantera at 30# (all I can draw temporarily), and it's still shooting around 230 fps.

13. MO.HICK

MO.HICK Senior Member

Years ago I shot 84 pounds. Then went to 70#'s on my switchback hunting bowstill using that poundage. But went to 60 # limbs on my target bow and love it. I will move the poundage down on the hunting bow after this year. I shoot better with the 60 # bow and my scores went up. And my shoulders dont hurt as bad.

Mo.Hick

14. BowhuntnHoosier

I'm still shooting 72# on my hunting bow but shooting 48# on my target bow. I can still shoot 80# easy enough but I know less will let me shoot longer in my hunting career.:biggrin1:

15. WildmanSC

WildmanSC Junior Member

56-60#

I have a bad right shoulder from an old football injury. Now I have a bad left shoulder, too, as the result of the infernal aging process, I'll be 61 in January.

I used to be able to shoot 74-80# when I was younger, i.e., around 40. But now that I'm 60, I don't buy a bow that will go any higher than 60#. I've got a new 2007 Hoyt Vectrix XL, 60#, 28" that I'll be picking up tomorrow or Friday. I suspect I'll be setting it up at 56-57#, or lower if need be!! :D

Bill

16. icom

icom Junior Member

I just turned 40 a couple weeks ago:Cry:

I've shot 60# or less (usually less) for about the last 5 years or so..My last bow I got a 50#'er shooting it maxed out at 55# .
    I've shot several deer and turkey's shooting 52-53# and they are just as dead as when I was shooting 74#...sure is alot easier to draw on a cold morning and easier on the shoulders..

by the way,I'm not exactly a small feller either,about 5'8" and 220lbs,I can easily shoot a 70# bow,just no need to do so..

17. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

My bow season is over and I am going to drop my Tribute down to 60# and shoot CF200's. Dropping 5# on my DW and 50 grns on arrow will give me about the same speed as now. I wll loose about 3-4 lb of KE, but the bag won't mind.

I am seriously looking at a Bowtech Equalizer with 60# limbs. I love to walk down the dirt roads in out hunting club and shoot bunnies in the evening. That bow would be great. It is nothing to shoot 50 times in an evening at the bunnies, it makes for good practice too.

18. BowhuntnHoosier

We nee a pic of what a rage does to a bunny.:laugh:

19. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

:noidea: :noidea: :noidea: No rage for the bunnies, only judo points or game stoppers. I can get a pic of what a 7mm-08 does to a bunnie. My daughter shot one on the last evening of our youth hunt. She did not have to track it down:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Since Hurrican Katrina, we are over run with rabbits. No one hunts them anymore and it is nothing to see 10 or more in a food plot at one time. I always keep a field point handt for them. Tasty.

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I agree, pics of "RAGING" bunnies would be cool!!!!!