What should i plant at my stand

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by bowcraze30, Aug 12, 2007.

1. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

what should i plant in my food plots. i live in michigan there is no real food sources around exept for acorns and natural vegetation.

2. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Clover and Oats basically. You can get a pre-mixed bag of food plot seed but it will need a lot of sun so keep that in mind.

Ron

3. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

okay all those premixed bags are like 2 pounds and it says it covers a 1/4 acre. but my friend and i were instructed to use 50 pound bags for 1/2 an acre.

4. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

You need to do some research before planting anything, a good food plot is alot more work then some think. First thing to do is get a ph test on the dirt in the area you want the food plot. Then select WHAT will grow good for that ph, you may also need to water and mow it. I would do some online searches on food plots and how to..... the depth that you plant the seeds is also verry important......

5. tresmon

tresmon Member

My wife ands I made a first attempt at a food plot 25 yards away from our stand. We here in E. TN are experiencing a drought. But the little level place we choose was just across an almost non existant trickle of a tiny creek, and the soil was damp. oh good! we raked all the debris and vegetation away for about a 12 yard ovalish shape. sprayed round up to kill the tough natives, then sowed "1/4 acre" worth of seeds on our 12 yard plot. As I have never taken the pre=season & oncoming deer season so serious I was dying to go a look a few days later to see how my little deer garden was doing. This plot was sown with "shot plot" from wal-mart.

I made myself wait 3 weeks and gues what!!!! almost nothing!
    Really really frusterated I left and went back to wally whirled. I bought Mossy Oak brand "secret spot." I also went across the street to Lowe's and bought a 40pound bag of pelletized lime (like $4) and a 40pound bag of 13-13-13 fertilizer (like $6) My wife and I went back to our stand spot and raked back about a 8 yard circle of forest floor. We raked down to bare dirt. Really ticked off that I was having to be a sweat hog AGAIN in my best spot, I skipped the round up. I figured a shopping mall worth of human scent on the place AGAIN ewas bad enough, so I skipped the harsh chemical smell.

Like I said, we had it raked down to bare dirt. Then I used the hard rake to slightly break up just the surface of the dirt. I would slam the teeth of the hard rake down on the ground and do a push pull motion with the rake about 6" both ways. it just barely broke up the top 1/4"- 3/8" of the dirt: perfect.

Then I practically soilidly covered the spot with the pelleteized lime. then I do the whole slam-push&pull rake routine to work the lime through the top layer I hard broke up.

Next I put about 60% as much of the 13-13-13 down on the spot as I had the lime. Then back to slam,Push and pull to mix that in too.

Finally I put "1/4 acre" worth of secret spot seed on my little 8 yard circle.
    one last slam.push&pull dance and the hard part was declared over.

Then I was horribly torn a week later, the next weekend, to see if the new and even the first plot was doing any good. But do I dare contminate my best spot with all that scent again even thought it's still 7 weeks till season? NO! but if I don't tend my plots, all that back breaking pouring of the sweat work might go up in dust. What to do?

Curisity got the best of me. So my wife & I headed back one more time. This will be my wife's first hunt, So I figured I'd build a blind around the double tree stand so she could figit a little with out spooking anything since I was going to the place one final time. Also because of the drought, I bought a 2 gallon pump sprayer at lowe's to water the new plot that was high and dry away from the creek.

WHOA!!!!!!! the new plot that had the lime & fertilizer and the slam,push pull action was already ankle deep!!!! The old plot down on the wonderfully mosit and balck creek bank was still pathetic.

So!!! my first shot at this was now a month or so ago, learn from my mistakes and discoveries: break the surface up and mix in the lime, fertilizer and seed!!!!!!!

Hope this help, and gkad to save a fellow hunter my headaches!
    Tres