What to look for?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by prodeerhunting, Jul 11, 2008.

1. prodeerhunting

prodeerhunting New Member

I have been hunting with a bow for 18 years now, and I am just getting into doing some competitive shooting. I would like to know what you guys look for in a competition bow. I just joined an archery club here in TN and we are getting ready to be ASA affiliated. So, I am looking to comply with their rules and format.

All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Matt Barlow

2. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

I am not super educated on ASA rules but I believe that there is a fps limit on those shoots, like 280 fps unless they have changed it.

As for the bow, anything that you are comfortable with will work, there is a class for everyone.

3. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

X2:peace: and :welcome:

4. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

:welcome:
    I don't know anything about it :noidea:
    Is there a website someone can give??

5. prodeerhunting

Thanks all!!

I have read the rules and was hoping for some insight as to why most people shoot a apex7 vs. x force vs. ......

I hunt w/ a 70 pound 6" bh x force, but am looking into buying something strictly for tournament shooting. As I understand it, a longer bh will be more forgiving than my 6". I am also pretty sure that I don't want to be shooting 70# either.

Any input on that?

Thanks,
    Matt Barlow

6. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

You can shoot competitivly with your X-force 6. I plan on competing in IBO events in the MBO class. You could also shoot target with your X-6 as well, just depends on how much you practice as it would with any bow.

I would suggest a draw weight between 50-60 lbs, I just lowered my X-6 from 60#'s to ~53#'s and have noticed a huge difference. My speed is still close to 320fps which works well for IBO and distance judging errors.

If you are going to shoot at targets where the distance is already known then speed isnt a factor. You are thinking correctly on the brace height, the longer the brace height the less amount of time the arrow is on the string so the less time you can make a mistake. Hope this helps!

7. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I think the forgiveness of brace height has a lot to do with draw length and the actual powerstroke of the bow. If you have a 30" draw and an 8" brace height you have a 22" powerstroke. 27" draw with a 6" brace height yields 21". The higher braced bow actually has the arrow on the string longer and theoretically is less forgiving. I think you have to take that into account. I agree with you that I wouldnt want to shoot a 70# bow for 3D. but I only use 6o# for hunting too. what's your drawlength and are you planning on staying with PSE or considering all models?

8. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

The apex bow has a few thing going for it.
    1 it has a higher BH
    2 it is longer ATA(axel to axel)
    theory goes a longer ATA and a higher Bh = more forgiving bow. But I know alot of guys shoot the Switchback- drealin ect for 3D. I think it is more up to the shooter what do you like, How much time are you willing to pratice. I shoot a longer bow(39 1/2 ATA with a 8 in BH) But I like longer bows I only shoot 55 to 60 lbs, That is what I am comfortable with. I would say go to a pro shop and shoot every bow you can and decide what you like from that. And good luck and happy shooting:peace:

9. prodeerhunting

Thanks all. I really appreciate all of the discussion.

My dl is 29", and am seriously considering all bows. I like the weight of the PSE bows, they are lighter, but i do not know if that is what I am looking for in a target bow. I noticed that the Hoyts are quite a bit heavier.